Career opportunities at Methodist Health System
Diabetes Educator 2 Certified
- Job Title
- Diabetes Educator 2 Certified
- Job ID
- Dallas, TX 75203
- Other Location
The Diabetes Educator provides individual and group diabetes education using the guidelines of the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.
Your Job Requirements:
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing
- Certified Diabetes Educator required
- Licensed in Texas as a Registered Nurse.
Your Job Responsibilities :
- Assess patient's medical, psychosocial, socioeconomic, educational and activity needs making appropriate recommendations based on these needs.
- Facilitate group education classes based on the National Standards for Diabetes Self Management Education guidelines, monitor blood sugar logs and assist patients with problems solving.
- Individually counsel patients in diabetes self-management by setting goals and action plans, and using appropriate level of educational materials.
- Possess skills in teaching finger stick and alternate site testing of self monitoring blood glucose with monitors commonly used.
- Possess skills in teaching various forms of insulin techniques, such as, syringe, pens, Innolet, etc., including devices for patients with special needs.
- Possess thorough knowledge in the management therapies of Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- Provide continuity of care by assessing patient's progress and making appropriate recommendations for diabetes self-management.
- Remain current in diabetes literature and research; update and revise diabetes materials and handouts as needed with current information.
Methodist Dallas Medical Center is one of North Texas’ best places to work. And it just gets better. Magnet® designated for nursing excellence and the flagship hospital of Methodist Health System, Methodist Dallas is a 556-bed teaching and referral hospital and home to one of only three Level I Trauma Centers in Dallas County. We are a certified Advanced Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and have highly rated adult liver, kidney, and pancreas transplant programs. Celebrating more than 90 years of service, Methodist Dallas strives to have a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve — one that is welcoming of the skills and talents of all groups. Our reputation as an award-winning employer shows in the honors we’ve earned:
- Magnet®-designated hospital
- Grade A Hospital Safety Score from The Leapfrog Group®
- First in the U.S. certified by The Joint Commission for pancreatic surgery and pancreatitis
- First in Texas certified for pancreatic cancer
- Hip and knee joint replacement programs certified by The Joint Commission
- Chest Pain – MI Registry™ Platinum Performance Achievement Award by the American College of Cardiology for excellence in heart attack care.
Our Care Commitments
- Take Care of Patients
- Take Care of Each Other
- Take Care of Ourselves
- Take Care of Methodist