Clinical Nurse - Per Diem - Labor and Delivery - Level III - Nights
- Job Title
- Clinical Nurse - Per Diem - Labor and Delivery - Level III - Nights
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
The Clinical Nurse – Per Diem is a Registered Nurse reporting directly to the Clinical Nursing Administrator. The position will report directly to Labor & Delivery. Through collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse is responsible for the safe and effective delivery of patient-centered care to specific patient populations. The Registered Nurse demonstrates professionalism, adheres to the ANA standards of practice, exemplifies the Howard University Hospital CARES values and fulfills our nursing mission and vision. Collaborates with intra and interdisciplinary staff to accomplish patient care goals based on the needs of the patient and HUH. Participates in educational offerings and presents as requested.
Per Diem Level III Commitment:
Night Shift: 7pm-7am
- Participating employees will be required to work three (3), twelve (12)-hour shifts per week. Schedules will be established in four (4) week cycles.
- Participating employees are not benefits-eligible and therefore do not accrue any PTO for the duration of agreement participation. Employees may still be eligible for compensation under the District of Columbia’s Accrued Sick and Safe Leave Act (ASSLA).
- Participating employees are required to work one weekend per month (24 hours/month).
- Participating employees are required to work at least every other major holiday including New Years, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Holidays begin the night before the holiday and ends with the start of the night shift on the day of the holiday. In addition, participants are expected to work known difficult to fill shifts (i.e. Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day).
The Registered Nurse:
- Assesses, plans, intervenes & evaluates patient care at the bedside. Identifies patient care requirements by establishing personal rapport with patients, families and friends. Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by protecting/keeping information confidential by adhering to HIPAA Privacy policies and procedures. Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patient, friends and families.
- Documents (electronic) patient care and outcomes. Maintains continuity among nursing teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Delegates tasks to non-licensed personnel and assistants.
- Participates in unit performance improvement programs through ongoing design, assessment and measurement and performance improvement activities. Participates in other nursing and unit-based committees such as education, engagement and practice.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures and controlled substance regulations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Associates Degree in Nursing Required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Three years of acute care RN experience in Labor and Delivery required. OR and NICU experience preferred.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia.
- Current Basic Life Support and ACLS or other certification based on the requirements of the department where assigned. Must be through AHA.
- Antepartum Testing Center- Advanced Fetal Monitoring Certification required.
- Nationally recognized Nursing Certification in assigned area(s) is highly desirable
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation and sick leave and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition to attend Howard University for you and/or your dependent children
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills