ESG Analyst - Venture Capital
- Job Title
- ESG Analyst - Venture Capital
- Job ID
- Work From Home
- Warrenville, IL 60555
- Other Location
ESG Analyst – Venture Capital
Volta Energy Technologies, LLC (“Volta”) is looking for an ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) Analyst to join its growing team. Volta is a venture capital investment firm focused on seeking out investment opportunities in companies with cutting-edge, disruptive battery, energy storage, and related technologies. We are seeking an analyst to execute ESG analyses on existing and prospective portfolio companies and perform broader-scale analyses on related market trends.
We are looking for an individual who strives to make impact, both locally within the firm and broadly in the world through the work we do. Considering Volta’s size, each person is able and expected to make impactful decisions and has the opportunity to take on more responsibility very quickly. Volta management believes in the value of mentorship and encourages the kind of connection and support among all employees that is so important in a firm of our size. We are seeking someone with enough prior ESG experience to contribute immediately, but just as important, someone who is passionate about the work they do and is looking to find ways to grow.
To this end, Volta is committed to working to build and sustain an equitable and inclusive work environment where diversity in background and identity is celebrated and valued. We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion enriches the development of everyone in our team. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have questions or concerns about your qualifications or ability to fit in the team.
- Collaborate with Volta co-workers to develop state-of-the-art methodologies for ESG analyses
- Perform ESG analyses of prospective and existing portfolio companies
- Engage directly with prospective and existing portfolio companies to extract necessary information needed to execute ESG analyses
- Write detailed internal reports and summarized external memos regarding the ESG evaluations of each portfolio company, and in some cases advise portfolio companies regarding ESG matters
- Perform broader-scale analyses on ESG- and energy storage-related market trends based on commercial, journalistic, and academic literature
- Write up and present on ESG and other market analyses at investor meetings and conferences
- Work remotely, or if preferred, at our west-suburban Chicago office
- Some short-duration travel is required, but is expected to be no more than 15%
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree highly desirable
- Considerable experience with conventional corporate and academic methods of collecting and evaluating a broad spectrum of ESG data required (e.g., greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, biodiversity, water, waste, compliance, diversity, etc.).
- Experience in the application of ESG analyses at an investment firm highly desirable
- Knowledge of one or more energy related technology categories (e.g., power systems, power electronics, power conversion, chemistry, materials science, fabrication and manufacturing processes, supply chains, etc.) highly desirable
- Modeling skills (Excel) highly desirable
- Self-starter requiring limited oversight, equally comfortable working individually and on teams
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, able to interface at all levels of the organization
- Highly quantitative; data-driven approach to decision making, methodical and detail-oriented
- Ability to translate highly technical information into presentations and memoranda suitable for a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to execute and manage multiple projects or tasks in a time-critical, transaction-oriented environment
- Permanent residents or US citizens only