Technical Support Specialist
- Job Title
- Technical Support Specialist
- Job ID
- Nashville, TN 37205
- Other Location
Under the supervision of the Director of IT Operations & Support, the role of the Technical Support Specialist is to provide technical support to users of various desktop computer hardware, software, other technology equipment, and business related applications. The TSS is the primary contact for all incoming calls and email requests for technical support. They also triage technical issues through monitoring and responding to service tickets/requests, providing troubleshooting guidance, and resolving technical problems. Administrative tasks for this role encompass verifying software licenses, maintaining equipment records and databases, and the procurement of technology, and other duties which may include installing and upgrading software and hardware, adding or moving computer equipment, and assisting with software rollouts or patches. Prioritization and escalation skills are essential to this role as decisions and results of work impact all end-users as. Also required, the ability to work with all levels of employees from front line staff to senior level executives as well as all ranges of technical capabilities from novice to expert.
- Be customer-focused, with intention toward delivery of exceptional customer support and service.
- Create/Disable/Modify Active Directory accounts – including Users and Computers – as part of daily routine.
- Adhere to and uphold security posture of the organization; escalate immediately if unsure.
- Provide analysis and support (triage: escalating issues to higher levels of support when/as required) of IT systems that includes Windows desktops, LAN, phone systems, and other related technology as determined by the business and in compliance with established IT standards and protocols.
- Investigate, research, isolate and resolve routine and non-routine software and hardware problems of computer, networking, and other related technologies through standard troubleshooting procedures.
- Assist in software releases and roll-outs according to Change Management best practices by testing to ensure that the systems work as expected as well as performing release and roll-out functionality
- Perform preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of end user devices, and other IT equipment
- Contribute to the Service Desk knowledge base as appropriate
- Coordinate with vendor support to resolve technical problems with desktop computing equipment and software
- Regular and reliable attendance and punctuality
- Perform other functions as required by management
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Associates degree in computer science/information technology, industry certification (CompTIA, Microsoft, etc.), 1 years’ industry experience; or, equivalent combination of education, certification and experience
- Working knowledge of computer hardware, including desktops, laptops, printers and mobile devices
- Experience with Microsoft Operating Systems, Active Directory, System Administration Tools
- Experience with Microsoft Office and other business applications
- Working knowledge of a range of software and hardware diagnostic tools
- Experience working within Service Desk/ITIL best practices
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, as necessary
Other Desired Skills
- Comfortable working in and assisting others through company help desk software in addition to other remote access desktop programs
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Having excellent listening and enquiring skills to be able to understand issues when explained by someone without technical knowledge
- Ability to recognize ambiguity and drive towards clarity.
- Great teamwork skills
- Actively helping coworkers as/when needed
- Working in tandem with coworkers of the same or different levels, including cross department, on larger projects.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work under pressure:
Achievement Oriented. Attention to Detail. Professional written and interpersonal skills. Independence. Initiative. Job Knowledge/Competency. Problem Solving.
Physical Demands and work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach hands and arms; talk and hear, speech clarity, ability to climb, balance, and stoop, kneel, bend and crawl. Employee must lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Work environment: Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment. The employee may be exposed to environmental risk of radiation exposure, and biohazard exposure.