NY Program Assistant
- Job Title
- NY Program Assistant
- Job ID
- Bronx, NY 10451
- Other Location
Start Date: Immediately
Employment Type: This is a full-time position
Location: New York City (in-person)
Reports to: Student Success Manager
TKH General Overview
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders, who will uplift their communities out of poverty.
The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved Bronx neighborhoods by teaching young adults aged 16-24 skills to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact. Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, TKH has served more than 1,900 students. Current core programs include our Innovation Fellowship focused on software engineering, cyber security, and digital design for adult job trainees, and our Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship for high school students learning computational thinking and web design.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your teaching and learning expertise to address the knowledge and skills gap to low income and underrepresented communities nationwide (we are rapidly expanding in NYC, Newark, Atlanta, and LA)
- Be part of a fast-moving and tech-enabled organization that’s building the next generation of tech entrepreneurs, technologists, and innovators
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions and improve organizational culture
- Flexible schedule hours within required evening class times and team meeting requirements; ability to work from home for part of the workweek
The Program Assistant will be primarily responsible for supporting the TKH programs with a focus on in-person classroom and student support. This engagement will cover classroom set up and partner management, student support services, reporting tasks, and activities that promote student success. In addition, the Program Assistant will provide support to the Program Managers to ensure programs are administered smoothly and effectively. The Program Assistant will primarily lead the following activities. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Program Operations:
- Work with program managers to arrange events for participating fellows in our programs
- Manage and coordinate equipment and materials logistics for all four sites
- Coordinate with the operations and tech team to manage technology access for all our participating fellows
- Work with the finance team to prepare grant disbursements and supporting documents
- Work with the program managers to support TKH’s recruitment and outreach events, manage logistics, and travel itinerary for the team, and help organize events
- Assist with an in-person and virtual classroom setup
- Be onsite to set up and support the classroom in person for 20 hours a week
- Partner with the class instructors to ensure students have zoom links, access to the curriculum and learning management system
- Support the class instructors with taking attendance and calling students who are late or absent
- Support the classroom instructors with outreach to students who need tutoring or extra support
- Actively review student feedback and data to support individualized learning and celebrate student success
- Student Support & Evaluation
- Support students who have entered the program by monitoring and answering questions via slack and occasionally providing 1-1 help sessions.
- Report student support needed and successes to program managers, keeping student data updated and organized
- Assist program staff with case management support, including identifying local wrap-around service partners and supportive restricted
- Coordinate student meetings like fun Fridays, pod check-ins, and industry engagement events (about 4 hrs/week)
- Lead 2-3 pod meetings per month on Fridays or weekends, based on student availability
- Align with teacher assistants to support pod check-ins for each training track
- Work with the Teaching & Learning team to administer the learning sessions every week
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of materials for program training, presentations, and meetings as needed
- Prepare agendas for and attend internal weekly meetings and report-up
- Help assemble program orientation materials
- Data collection, grant reporting, cross-functional collaboration with non-Program teams, and supporting various program-related events and activities.
- On-site from Monday through Thursday from 5:30 pm-9:30 pm and on some Fridays and weekends.
You’re an ideal candidate if you have:
- Passion for education and social impact
- Demonstrated commitment to TKH’s mission and understanding of our programs
- 1+ years of professional or academic experience in education, social services, technology, or relevant field is required
- 1+ years of experience with classroom management, teaching, or working with young adults is preferred
- Familiarity with the following skills: beginner IT or coding skills, web design or graphic design, computational thinking is a plus
- Experience with eLearning, computer-enhanced teaching, and blended learning approaches preferred
- Strong presentation, public speaking, and "people skills"
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail, organization, and time management skills
- Experience analyzing and organizing conceptual and quantitative information
- Manage multiple and varied projects with strong attention to detail, organization, and accuracy
- Work independently and as a part of a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office/Google Suite, and Asana
- Experience working effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Outstanding administrative and computer skills
To ensure employee and student safety, as of January 1, 2022, all TKH employees are mandated to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
It is the policy of The Knowledge House, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunities without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.