LA Program Assistant
- Job Title
- LA Program Assistant
- Job ID
- Part Time
- Los Angeles, CA 90046
- Other Location
Start Date: Immediately
Employment Type: Part-Time
Location: Los Angeles ( Hybrid)
Reports to: Program Manager
TKH General Overview
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders, who will uplift their communities out of poverty.
The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved Bronx neighborhoods by teaching young adults aged 16-24 skills to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact. Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, TKH has served more than 1,900 students. Current core programs include our Innovation Fellowship, focused on software engineering, cyber security, and digital design for adult job trainees, and our Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship for high school students learning computational thinking and web design.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your expertise and passion to address the knowledge and skills gap in low-income and underrepresented communities nationwide (we are rapidly expanding in NYC, Newark, Atlanta, and LA)
- Be part of a fast-moving and tech-enabled organization, building the next generation of tech entrepreneurs, technologists, and innovators.
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions and improve organizational culture
- Flexible schedule hours within required evening class times and team meeting requirements; ability to work from home for part of the workweek
The Program Assistant for Los Angeles will support TKH programs, focusing on building community and supporting recruitment and program operations. Duties will include recruitment of students, student support services, reporting tasks, and activities that promote student success. In addition, the Program Assistant for Los Angeles will support the Program Managers to ensure programs are administered smoothly and effectively. They will be primarily responsible for the following activities. These include, but are not limited to:
Recruitment, Screening, Selection (60%)
- Work with TKH’s recruitment and outreach team to support planning, organizing, and facilitating events.
- Support recruitment efforts for assigned programs, including info sessions, application screening, applicant assessments, interviews, pre-training and enrollment.
- Support collection, review, and scoring of hundreds of applications for annual fellowships, coordinating admissions activities for staff and volunteers to support.
- Coordinate with alumni, professionals, and current fellows for engagement events.
Student Success and Program Operations Support (40%)
- Provide up to 20 hours of weekly in-person on or off-site support to address student support needs.
- Support students who have entered the program by monitoring and answering questions via slack and occasionally providing 1-1 help sessions.
- In collaboration with the Operations and Tech teams, coordinate equipment, technology, and materials logistics for participants in LA County (and occasionally assist with other sites, as needed).
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of materials for program orientation, graduation, special events, meetings and skill building workshops, as needed.
- Assist with planning and promoting TKH events and workshops to students, alumni, and the local community, especially in person.
- Work with program managers to arrange and facilitate in-person and virtual events for participating fellows in our programs, like fun Fridays, pod check-ins, and industry engagement events (about 4 hrs/week).
- Work with the recruitment team to identify what types of wrap around services are needed, connect fellows with services, or identify available services.
- Conduct research and outreach to secure local referrals and supportive service partners who can provide wrap-around services as needed.
- Report student support needs and successes to program managers, keeping student data updated and organized.
- Complete other duties at the discretion of management.
- 1+ year(s) of professional or academic experience in education, social services, technology, or a relevant field is required
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with internal and external stakeholders is required
- Familiarity with the following skills: beginner IT or coding skills, web design or graphic design, and computational thinking is a plus
- Experience with eLearning, computer-enhanced teaching, and blended learning approaches preferred
Skills & Approach to Work
- Passion for education and social impact preferred
- Ability to independently produce high quality work, delegate, problem-solve, and ask for help when needed.
- A passion and love for our students and their genius. A tenacious desire to smash all barriers in the way of our students accessing rewarding, high-paying careers in technology.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines in a constantly changing and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and persuasive communication skills, including public speaking abilities.
- Ability to travel occasionally and participate in frequent evening and weekend activities for work-related purposes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office/Google Suite and Asana preferred
- Build strong, supportive relationships with prospective and current fellows
- Represent TKH values within the Los Angeles community
- Identify potential partners in recruitment and engagement in the LA region
- Conduct research to identify support services for students
- Effectively communicate program information to applicants and stakeholders throughout the LA County
As a growing organization, we expect that the specific needs and job description will shift over time and other duties may be assigned by the Los Angeles Community Engagement Specialist. A flexible and curious mindset will be essential for success.
The compensation for this part-time role is a rate of $20/hour for an expected ~25-hour workweek. This role is required to be hybrid. Some weekend and evening hours will be required.
To ensure employee and student safety, as of January 1, 2022, all TKH employees are mandated to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
It is the policy of The Knowledge House, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunities without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.