Web Development Lead Instructor
- Job Title
- Web Development Lead Instructor
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Bronx, NY 10451
- Other Location
Start Date: IMMEDIATELY
Employment Type: This is a full-time position
Location: New York City preferred, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Newark
Reports to: Manager of Curriculum & Instruction
TKH General Overview
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders, who will uplift their communities out of poverty.
The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved Bronx neighborhoods by teaching young adults aged 16-24 skills to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact. Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, TKH has served more than 1,900 students. Current core programs include our Innovation Fellowship focused on software engineering, cybersecurity, and design for adult job trainees, and our Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship for high school students learning computational thinking and web design.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your teaching and learning expertise to address the knowledge and skills gap to low-income and underrepresented communities nationwide (we are rapidly expanding in NYC, Newark, Atlanta, and LA)
- Be part of a fast-moving and tech-enabled organization that’s building the next generation of tech entrepreneurs, technologists, and innovators
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions and improve organizational culture
- Flexible schedule hours within required evening class times and team meeting requirements; ability to work from home for part of the workweek
The TKH Web Development Lead Instructor will be primarily responsible for the following activities for the Innovation Fellowship Web Development Cohort. These include, but are not limited to:
- Instruction and Course Delivery - 60%
- Deliver weekly technical curricula Monday-Wednesday to 1-2 cohorts of 20-40 participants each, including evening instruction during the hours of 5:30pm-9:30pm.
- Manage the Teacher Assistants daily, delegating class preparation, individual or group tutoring, grading, and instruction of specific modules
- Provide guidance and mentorship to orient student learning toward the target industries.
- Be motivated and driven to produce and provide evidence of excellent and innovative teaching
- Student Support & Evaluation - 20%
- Supervise Teaching Assistants in compilation and management of all student attendance, incident reports, lab submissions, project deliverables, and individual grades
- Provide ongoing assessment of individual student needs, identification of corresponding measurable goals, and monitoring of learner progress, in order to meet designated goals
- Make yourself available to students outside the classroom during designated office hours for email, phone, web conferencing, and/or in person tutoring and meetings
- Conduct a once a month review session/Q&A with class
- Work with case specialists and TKH leadership to resolve class behavior or performance issues
- Review Student Weekly Feedback and provide insight on areas that need to be either reimagined or where students need additional support
- Curriculum Tasks- 15%
- Work with TKH leadership and Manager of Curriculum and Instruction to suggest and implement additions or changes to the existing curriculum
- Build and update the course syllabus, with identified program learning outcomes, based on in-house content, supplemental materials, industry assessments, assignments, and student activities
- Create and maintain instructional materials with the support of teacher assistants, including lectures, readings, assignments, exams, labs, projects, etc. for use during in-person and/or virtual settings
- Create class review content and supplementary materials for monthly review sessions
- Supervise Teaching Assistants in the creation of unit plans, lesson plans, and finalizing slides, to be prepared for class at least 4 weeks in advance
- Tech Evangelism - 5%
- Work cross-functionally to advise TKH on industry knowledge, assess students’ work readiness, connect with potential employers, and support job placement
- Lead by example as a professional technologist and be an excellent role model for students
- Participate in monthly professional development sessions and provide coaching to Teacher Assistants
- Stay current on the subject material by researching job market trends, emerging technologies, and innovations
- Actively participate and share relevant industry engagement opportunities with students, including research, hackathons, meetings, professional development, and networking events
- Support TKH’s recruitment efforts by raising awareness of career pathways in the technology industry and supporting the admissions team with applicant assessments
You’re an ideal candidate if you have:
- Bootcamp completion, Industry Certification, and/or Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, or related field is preferred
- 2+ years of professional experience in technology or relevant field is required
- 1+ years of experience with classroom management, teaching, or working with young adults is preferred
- Previous experience working with underprivileged communities is a plus
- Experience with eLearning, computer-enhanced teaching, and blended learning approaches preferred
- Strong presentation, public speaking, and "people skills"
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail, organization, and time management skills
The full-time salary range for this role will be between $70k-$80K. Benefits for full-time staff include health, dental, and vision insurance, a 2% 401k match, a monthly tech stipend, a weekly no-meeting day, and unlimited PTO days.
To ensure employee and student safety, as of January 1, 2022, all TKH employees are mandated to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
It is the policy of The Knowledge House, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunity without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.