Customer Information Specialist
- Job Title
- Customer Information Specialist
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
The Customer Information Specialist:
- Provides exceptional customer service over the phone according to the Hospital’s policies and procedures. Responds to guests, patients and staff inquiries promptly and professionally by telephone. Assists with current directory information for Hospital staff. Updates the patient information list on a daily basis to ensure Operators are providing the most up-to-date information to our guests.
- Operates computer and telephone to access patient and employee information and page Hospital staff. Properly responds and processes all emergency codes via hospital paging and phone systems.
- Assists with the paging software SPOK by updating the database as needed, updating phone numbers, employee and physicians’ profiles.
- Resolves all inquiries by taking ownership of the requests from guests, patients and staff.
- Assists with daily On-Call schedule to ensure the proper on-call information is transferred to the next shift.
- Responds to and reports any telecommunication equipment failures to administration or on-call management in the event of a phone system issue. Prepares and submits (EMAIL) reports of incidents during shift to supervisor. Troubleshoots pagers for any technical problems, display or volume issues.
- Reports all safety, security and suspicious persons and law violations to Security staff. Reports any non-routine situation or problem, which warrants immediate consideration or action to supervisor.
- Makes appropriate referrals when unable to satisfactorily resolve problems or answer inquiries.
- Swaps and programs pagers for residents and physicians within a 2 hour turnaround timeframe. Utilizes Track-It system to enter in all pager transactions including: new, repairs, broken, lost, code pagers, group, stolen, upgrades and closing ticket.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Knowledge of HUH policies and procedures
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service skills and flexibility
- Ability to maintain professional appearance at all times.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and telephone switch board, find information on HUH’s intranet and internet and effectively operate HUH Telecommunications systems.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and privacy of patient information.
- Ability to handle high stress situations in a calm manner and de-escalate.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated customer service, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated high energy and strong work ethic
- Exceptional communication skills
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D)
- One (1) year experience as a customer service representative and/or, patient information clerk or receptionist preferably in a healthcare or customer-focused environment
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D)
One (1) year experience as a customer service representative and/or, patient information clerk or receptionist preferably in a healthcare or customer-focused environment