Interested in joining our team?
Learn more about our available positions below.
Phlebotomist - Urology
- Job Title
- Phlebotomist - Urology
- Job ID
- Fairbanks, AK 99701
- Other Location
Looking for the ideal candidate with solid phlebotomy experience working M-F, 8am - 12pm and assisting in the back office in the afternoons.
The Phlebotomist is responsible providing professional care to patients in an outpatient setting by identifying the best method for retrieving specimens, preparing specimens for laboratory testing and performing screening procedures.
· Verifies patient by reading patient identification.
· Obtains blood specimens by performing venipunctures and finger sticks.
· Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique following department procedures and observing isolation procedures.
· Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating and noting times of collection; maintaining daily tallies of collections performed.
· Maintains safe, secure and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
· Resolves unusual test orders by contacting the physician, nursing staff or reference laboratory; referring unresolved orders back to the originator for further clarification; notifying supervisor of unresolved orders.
· Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
· Serves and protects center by adhering to professional standards, policies and procedures, federal, state and local requirements and CLIA standards.
· Enhances phlebotomy process improvements by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
· File all paperwork according to Laboratory procedures. Laboratory records are maintained for two years.
· Regular attendance and punctuality.
· Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
· Ensures that all processing and reporting deadlines are consistently achieved.
· Perform any other functions as required by management.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Ability to work a flexible schedule (including overtime) as necessary.
· High School graduate or equivalent required.
· Current CPR certification.
· Basic PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
· Minimum of 1-2 years phlebotomy experience required.
· Oncology and/or Radiology experience
· Phlebotomy certification preferred
Excellent judgment, dependability, conscientious performance. Detail oriented. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Caring and empathetic. High ethical standards. Creating safe and effective lab environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, speech clarity, climb, balance, and stoop, kneel, and bend.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to environmental risk of radiation exposure, and biohazard exposure.