Senior Manager Operations (Culinary/Production)
- Job Title
- Senior Manager Operations (Culinary/Production)
- Job ID
Senior Manager Operations (Culinary/Production)
We are working with an early-stage food-tech startup empowering their customers to get and stay healthy while improving the sustainability of our food system. This company delivers delicious, organic, healthy, plant-forward meals, cold-pressed juices, and snacks to customers who want to put their nutrition on autopilot. Their focus is on the health and happiness of their customers. The company aims to build a business that lasts for decades, taking a long-term approach over easy, short-term wins.
The Senior Manager, Operations (Culinary/Production) oversees all culinary and production operations functions, including ingredient prep, cooking, plating, and pick and pack operations for customer deliveries on the East Coast. This individual will work closely with the Director, Plant Operations, at their brand-new East Coast production facility and will be responsible for getting operations off the ground, as well as for changing and scaling those operations ahead of an exciting year of rapid growth. This role will require an incredible amount of flexibility, resourcefulness, and an entrepreneurial spirit to build operations from the ground up and hire a team to support the East Coast operations. If you are an operations generalist with a food background who loves leading teams, building, and problem-solving in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment, this role is for you!
Location: Burlington, New Jersey
- Supervise and monitor the execution of all kitchen, plate, and pick and pack activities.
- Ensure all handling, processing, cooking, and storing of raw materials is in line with the highest standards of food safety
- Plan, organize, and map kitchen, plate, and pick and pack functions throughput for all shifts; schedule/assign team members based on throughput targets and forecasted demand for maximum efficiency and safety
- Develop and set production objectives and implement action plans for achieving set targets
- Ensure that all required documentation is completed in full, is accurate, and submitted after each shift
- Oversee and work with inventory/receiving specialists to monitor, document, and control inventory levels
- Develop preventative maintenance schedules and issue work orders and requisitions for repairs and replacements
- Create and institute protocols as needed to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and discipline for the culinary and production teams. Iterate and adjust SOPs, processes, and training ahead of growth
- Ensure all COGS and other budgetary targets are met in accordance with launch and operational plans
- Work with the Director, Plant Operations to help identify and implement best practices and follow lean manufacturing principles to improve overall efficiency and quality
- In partnership with QA and People Operations team, ensure sufficient training programs are in place for all new and existing employees on the kitchen and plate teams, from supervisors to associates
- Partner regularly with People Ops, Payroll, and Talent Acquisition teams to create a positive work environment, work towards all hiring goals, and ensure timely payroll is completed for all departments
- Provide support to internal and external audits; assist the QA Director in ensuring proper team member training, compliance, and enforcement of all company policies including food safety, GMPs, SOPs, SSOPs, HACCP, and all local, state, and federal laws (HACCP and GMP training required within the first 60 days of employment)
- Ensure compliance with company policies and all federal, state, and local employment laws and OSHA regulations
- Consistently review all Incidents or Safety Concerns with Supervisors, and work with Safety Committee to conduct regular Hazard Audits/Assessments and make corrections and preemptive measures to prevent accidents. Ensure appropriate processes are followed to report and track incidents.
- Minimum 5+ years experience as a Chef/Sous Chef or Culinary/Kitchen Manager in a high-volume catering or food manufacturing environment
- Minimum 3-5+ years of proven experience working with high-volume production kitchen equipment including tilt skillets, combi ovens, and large food processing machines, with working knowledge of recipe scaling and standardization
- 5+ years of progressive people management experience in a fast-paced food production/manufacturing environment
- Strong knowledge of OSHA/HACCP/GMP/SSOP/FDA/3rd party GSF/Food Safety. Experience in the SQF or BRC certification journey a plus
- Familiarity with lean manufacturing principles including 5-S, Kaizen, Six Sigma, and Root Cause Analysis a plus.
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to motivate people, provide support, and give feedback (positive and negative) to direct reports and employees at all levels of the organization
- A proven track record of building new systems and scaling for rapid growth
- Strong knowledge of food handling procedures and regulations
- Ability to set, work towards, and achieve aggressive COGS driver and KPI goals
- Comfortable learning new technology platforms and excellent Google/Microsoft Suite skills
- Ability to manage multilingual workforce and use clear communication, verbally and written (bonus for working with digital mediums to communicate internally and cross-functionally)
- Experience with understanding and improving inventory management, order management, and warehouse management systems and processes
- Tech-savy approach to everyday tasks and communication; comfortable with G-Suite and Slack