Director of FP&A - Onshore Renewables
- Job Title
- Director of FP&A - Onshore Renewables
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future for all.
The Senior FBP delivers financial insight and strategic thinking to maximize financial performance of the business. Key responsibilities include driving business partnering of the finance function, identifying growth opportunities and potential business transactions, analysis of business performance, risk mitigation, establishing performance benchmarks, and levels of accountability. Responsible for acting as a strategic partner across the business, driving operational performance consistency across business units to maximize financial operating performance.
Provides analysis of financial results to maximize business unit financial performance and growth. Ensures operational consistency and limits risks through partnerships with other areas across NGV.
Lead the business engagement and development of an efficient and robust process and output for the quarterly forecasting, 10 year business plan and monthly risks and opportunities.
Business Planning and forecasting
- Robust and detailed in year forecasting, with risks and opportunities tracking and reporting implemented to drive robust performance conversations.
- Accountable for developing and implementing a quarterly rolling forecast (QRF) process, by working with stakeholders on assumptions, coordinating financial modelling and providing commentary including business and financial analysis and insights.
- Accountable for developing a 10-year business plan, and operating and capital budget, by working with stakeholders on assumptions, coordinating financial modelling and providing commentary including business and financial analysis and insights.
- Partner with Onshore Renewables Power Marketing and Asset Management teams to establish middle-office functions and daily operations for the growing operating portfolio.
- Provide insight and actionable advice for management for Onshore Renewables’ growing power marketing needs and exposures.
- Serve as the key FBP to ensure that Onshore Renewables’ power marketing activities and requirements are performed in line with delegated authorities and NG group policies.
Treasury and Risk Management
- Work closely with the Head of Finance, V.P. of Project Finance and other senior directors to establish improved treasury and risk reporting for contractual exposures and commitments.
- Work closely with Project Finance to find alternative Onshore Renewables’ construction financing options to enhance portfolio performance and improve liquidity.
- Work closely with other senior FBPs on improving cash and liquidity forecasting for development and construction activities across Onshore Renewables.
- Serve as the key finance business partner to the Operating Asset team including the Operations, Asset Management, FP&A and Financial Control teams.
- Improve life-cycle project modeling and tracking through partnership and collaboration with the V.P. of Project Finance to enhance the medium and long-term forecasting of the operating asset portfolio.
- Work closely with Asset Management and Operations to provide insight to management on risks, opportunities, and key performance indicators.
- Drive continued improvement in performance management and reporting as a key contributor to the team’s development of the portfolio flash dashboard.
Other Key Accountabilities
- Actively contribute to all key strategic, commercial and non-financial performance related decisions, to ensure long-term sustainable financial performance is delivered, financial risks are managed, and controls are implemented and maintained.
- Maintains scenario analysis and risks and opportunities across current and multi-year periods for NGV operating profit and capital investment, with associated business and financial insight.
- Lead, direct and support the analysis and development of long-term cost saving and contract management opportunities and risks across the business to deliver increased value and cost effectiveness.
- Identify and execute opportunities to proactively engage with the business to recognize problems, implement solutions and drive business performance as part of an integrated, cross-functional business team.
- Direct Reports: 1
- LSR business growing to:
- Revenue of c.$200m and operating profit of c.$100m
- Average investment of up to c.$800m per annum
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience with progressively increased responsibility and experience in commercial finance roles.
- Excellent inter-personal skills with the ability to build relationships across the business and influence external stakeholders
- Strategic finance leader with the credibility and strength to influence and shape decisions.
- Strong commercial understanding and experience, including Joint Venture set up and management
- Demonstrated business partner experience to act as a trusted advisor using strategic insight to deliver tangible performance improvements
- Regulatory experience and/or awareness of regulatory developments.
- Financial reporting, planning, forecasting and risk management.
- Resilient, hard-working and determined to drive through change.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills with the ability to build relationships across the business and influence external stakeholders.
- Accounting for Joint ventures and Integrations
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a minimum of 15 years in finance leadership
- Qualified Accountant
- NGV Senior Leadership team, in particular, President and CFO and NG Renewables CEO
- NG Renewables Senior Leadership team
- NGV Senior Finance Leadership team – CFO, Head of FP&A, Financial Controller
- NG Group Finance Functions including Group Finance, Tax & Treasury teams
- Internal and external professional advisors (commercial, legal, regulatory, tax, treasury etc.)
- External and internal auditors