User Experience Teaching Assistant
- Job Title
- User Experience Teaching Assistant
- Job ID
- Part Time
- Bronx, NY 10451
- Other Location
Start Date: Immediately
Employment Type: This is a part-time position
Location: New York City preferred, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Newark
Reports to: Lead Instructor
TKH General Overview
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders, who will uplift their communities out of poverty.
The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved Bronx neighborhoods by teaching young adults aged 16-24 skills to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact. Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, TKH has served more than 1,900 students. Current core programs include our Innovation Fellowship focused on software engineering, cybersecurity, and design for adult job trainees, and our Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship for high school students learning computational thinking and web design.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your teaching and learning expertise to address the knowledge and skills gap to low income and underrepresented communities nationwide (we are rapidly expanding in NYC, Newark, Atlanta, and LA)
- Be part of a fast-moving and tech-enabled organization that’s building the next generation of tech entrepreneurs, technologists, and innovators
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions and improve organizational culture
- Flexible schedule hours within required evening class times and team meeting requirements; ability to work from home for part of the workweek
The TKH User Experience Teaching Assistant will be primarily responsible for the following activities for the Innovation Fellowship User Experience Cohort. These include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting Instruction and Course Delivery - 60%
- Assist in delivering weekly technical curricula Monday-Wednesday to 1-2 cohorts of 20-40 participants each, including evening instruction during the hours of 5:30pm-9:30pm.
- Assist in all classroom management tasks, instruction, and implementation of both guided and unguided labs via Zoom.
- Manage a calendar/booking system for student office hours, 4 hours a week or as needed via email, phone, web conferencing, and/or in-person tutoring and meetings.
- Review Student Weekly Feedback and provide insight on areas that need to be either reimagined or where students need additional support
- Attend weekly Teacher Meeting
- Student Support & Evaluation - 30%
- Grade student assignments, labs, and assessments
- Meeting weekly deadlines and updating GPAs before the new week
- Compile all student attendance, incident reports, lab submission rates and grades, weekly assignment submission rates and grades, and project deliverable submission rates and grades
- Attend weekly Cohort Check-in and review student attendance reports, grades, and classroom feedback
- Attend monthly review session/Q&A with class
- Support students who have entered the pre-training program by monitoring and answering questions via Slack and occasionally providing 1-1 help sessions via web conferencing and/or in-person
- Curriculum Tasks- 10%
- Create unit plans, lesson plans, and presentation slides, to be prepared for class at least 4 weeks in advance
- Support in creating and maintaining instructional materials including lectures, readings, assignments, exams, labs, projects, etc. for use during in-person and/or virtual settings
- Assist the recruitment and student success team with vetting applicant's baseline technical knowledge to inform selection needed
- Industry certification, Degree in Design or related field, and/or Bootcamp completion is preferred
- Familiarity with the following skills and topics: user experience & user interface design, iterative design, user testing, information architecture, persona and prototype development, research
- Experience with Figma, Adobe, or other wireframing tools
- Experience working with the design tools and familiarity with graphic design concepts
- Skilled at problem-solving and algorithmic thinking
- Experience working in classroom environments
- Excellent time management
- Strong communications, and people skills
- Experience teaching, mentoring, or tutoring is a plus
- Excellent writing skills for content creation activities
- LMS understanding (Classrooms, Attendance, Grades, etc..)
The compensation for this part-time role is a flat monthly rate of $3,000/month for an expected ~25-hour workweek.
To ensure employee and student safety, as of January 1, 2022, all TKH employees are mandated to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
It is the policy of The Knowledge House, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunity without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.