Skip to content
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
- Job Title
- Senior Embedded Software Engineer
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Poway, CA 92064
- Other Location
With limited supervision, design and develop embedded software and user interfaces for next generation wireless products.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Participate in all phases of the complete software development life-cycle; from concept through product definition, product development, production, and product sustainment.
- Develop graphical user interfaces (GUI) on embedded touchscreens and network accessible interfaces.
- Identify new technologies to enhance department productivity, streamline development process, and improve future product capabilities.
- Evaluate system requirements and recommend tools, hardware, and coding methods to optimize end product performance and maintainability.
- Interface with RF, Digital, and hardware groups, as well as customers, to ensure overall project success.
- Estimate resource requirements and completion dates.
- Assist in other job duties and interface with other departments as required.
May provide mentoring, work leadership, and training to lower-level software engineers.
- Education/Training: Minimum of BSCS, BSCE, or BSEE or equivalent education and experience required.
- Experience: Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience with embedded software development including significant work with digital video codecs; significant experience with GTK or similar toolkits to create graphical user interfaces (GUIs) on embedded touchscreen and network accessible displays; significant knowledge and experience with MPEG transport streams; significant experience with embedded Linux development: at least 5 years of experience working with embedded Linux products or very recent in-depth work on a large-scale embedded Linux project. Experience writing Windows-based GUIs a plus. Candidate should be comfortable creating tools to remotely control various products via Ethernet, RS-232, etc.
- Expert C/C++ coding skills and understanding of Operating System internals (especially Linux); knowledgeable of one or more assembly languages and processor architectures. C# and .NET experience a plus.
- Experienced in GUI design using GTK, Qt, or similar toolkits
- Experienced building a complete and bootable Linux environment using Buildroot, Yocto, etc.
- Capable of developing microcontroller firmware for mixed signals applications
- Strong ability to rapidly understand and effectively use code written by others; excellent design skills with ability to be innovative when required
- Strong verbal, written, collaboration, and teamwork communication skills
- Experience with TCP/IP, UDP/IP, and RTP/RTSP a plus
Flexible/hybrid role offering combination of remote and on-site office work at Poway, CA headquarters. Role requires interaction with shared physical hardware, fully remote work not available for this position.
Job Conditions/Physical Demands:
Office environment with prolonged periods of sitting at the computer terminal; works in Manufacturing/Lab environment with constant or intermittent noise. Walking, sitting, standing, and bending.
Protective Devices Required:
In required areas.