- Job Title
- Employment Specialist
- Job ID
- Bronx, NY 10451
- Other Location
Start Date: November 2022
Employment Type: This is a full-time position
Location: Bronx, NY
Reports to: Career Success Manager
TKH General Overview
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders, who will uplift their communities out of poverty.
The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved Bronx neighborhoods by teaching young adults aged 16-24 skills to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact. Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, TKH has served more than 1,900 students. Current core programs include our Innovation Fellowship focused on software engineering, cyber security, and digital design for adult job trainees, and our Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship for high school students learning computational thinking and web design.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your teaching and learning expertise to address the knowledge and skills gap to low income and underrepresented communities nationwide (we are rapidly expanding in NYC, Newark, Atlanta, and LA)
- Be part of a fast-moving and tech-enabled organization that’s building the next generation of tech entrepreneurs, technologists, and innovators
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions and improve organizational culture
- Flexible schedule hours within required evening class times and team meeting requirements; ability to work from home for part of the workweek
TKH’s Employment Specialist plays a critical role in helping achieve TKH’s organizational goals and furthering its mission. The Employment Specialist is directly responsible for improving career outcomes for TKH fellows. They are responsible for placing fellows in their 3-month internship followed by full time employment, including cultivating relationships with employers and coaching students on resume and cover letter updates. The Employment Specialist will own career readiness assessments, data tracking, coaching, and supportive services for all Knowledge House Alumni seeking full time employment. The Employment Specialist will also support the alumni network, informing alumni of upcoming professional workshops and events, reaching out to disconnected alumni to report their employment status, and working with the alumni network to determine supplemental professional and advancement needs. Activities include, but are not limited to the following:
Job placement 45%
- Work with students to identify and develop a plan for their job search process
- Match fellows to 3-month internships and full time jobs
- Provide job matching services, interview prep, and portfolio/resume review sessions to all alumni who are either applying for FT roles or are changing roles
- Work closely with Business & Partnerships Manager to secure and vet students for sourced internships, prep them for interviews, and onboard students into jobs
- Update Linkedin page and alumni slack with incoming job opportunities
Alumni Support 20%
- Starting in phase 3, conduct monthly coaching sessions with every fellow to start reviewing work readiness assessment scores and recommending students for internship opportunities
- Conduct periodic work readiness assessments with job seeking alumni
- Vet alumni for technologist apprenticeship opportunities with the aid of the career instructor
- Work with career instructor and partnership manager to develop, and implement alumni workshops, and networking events
- Initiate one-on-one financial coaching conversations with customers and provide relevant tools and resources to support them in reaching financial security outcomes
- Coordinate 2021 alumni programs and launch alumni board by 2022
- Own supporting students through bridge employment through weekly status check-ins
Support Career Development for Innovation Fellows 15%
- Conduct coaching sessions with every fellow during the job search process and track progress against the career roadmap
- Coordinate with the career instructor in assessing career readiness and reinforcing the career content
- Provide office hours and individualized student support for career coaching, job interview prep, and resume review
Administrative Support 20%
- Update timely case notes documenting student goals and progress
- Own the Work Progress Program (WPP) onboarding and reporting for subsidized interns, including verification of student timesheets for TKH supported internships
- Update student placement database with outcomes data on a regular basis
- Verification of FT placements through paystubs / offer letters
- Follow up with alumni to track wage data, job retention and current employment and training needs
- Own reporting internship partner satisfaction through surveys
Qualifications and Skills:
You’re an ideal candidate if you are/have:
- 2-3 years of work experience ideally in a non-profit, education, or youth development environment
- Proficient in Google Drive applications and other apps for work
- Relate openly and comfortably with students to encourage strong relationships and accountability.
- Approach work with a customer-focused commitment and attempting smart and innovative approaches to overcome student employment challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, including cold calling
- Organization skills and great time management; ability to multitask and manage multiple deadlines
- Coachable, open to feedback, and eager to develop their current skills
- Strong work ethic and commitment to produce high quality work
- Teamwork, including actively reaching out to colleagues to support or consult on projects and maintains collaborative work environment
The salary range for this role will be between $55K - $60K. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, a 2% 401k match, a monthly tech stipend, and unlimited days of paid time off.
To ensure employee and student safety, as of January 1, 2022, all TKH employees are mandated to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
It is the policy of The Knowledge House Fellowship, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunity without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.