Senior Electrical Engineer
- Job Title
- Senior Electrical Engineer
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community-focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction, and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high-value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair, and affordable energy future for all.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Support engineering for new projects end-to-end.
- Oversee design review of the protection and controls aspect of all projects.
- Communicate regularly with all personnel to ensure satisfaction of internal/external customer requirements.
- Participate in or lead business unit improvement initiatives.
- Support project SCADA efforts to include working with the contractor implementing the system and coordinating interfacing points for all parties involved.
- Assist in development of overall project network schedules and timelines that support project milestones.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of design standards and criteria for project infrastructure.
- Oversee quality aspects of engineering and construction, to include ensuring compliance with design standards, accuracy of final documentation, and test data.
- Review project P&C designs and coordination studies.
- Provide technical support to plant operations as may be required for project infrastructure, facilities, and systems.
- Participate in Operations rotating on-call Engineering support to immediately address critical plant events or failures ensuring minimal down time.
- Keep updated on new industry technologies, standards, and requirements by governing agencies.
- Devise new approaches to technical problems using a broad knowledge of precedents in the industry.
- Support other departments as a technical SME when necessary.
- Provides technical guidance and training to more junior staff.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THIS ROLE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in high voltage design, such as:
- Substation P&C design.
- Protection coordination and relay programming.
- SCADA integration experience.
- Self-starter with ability to manage own schedule.
- Experience developing technical documentation such as drawings, reports, & technical analysis.
- Ability to understand technical documentation related to renewable energy projects such as interconnection agreements, facilities studies, permitting documents, local codes and regulations, civil and electrical construction specifications.
- Ability to solve complex technical design and construction problems that require advanced engineering knowledge.
- Proficiency using personal computer tools such as MS Office, Word, Excel, NetSuite, MS Project, Visio, AutoCad and other database managements systems.
- Experience with PSSE, PSLF, PSCAD, ETAP and/or EasyPower
- Experience working with large, regulated utilities and their substation standards.
- Ability to remotely troubleshoot substation trip events, plant controller issues, and equipment malfunctions with onsite staff.
- Experience in managing technicians, engineers, consultants, and contractors.
- Adaptable and can switch or change tasks quickly. While working on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration preferred.
- Familiarity with different ISO, RTO, and Transmission Owner technical requirements for interconnection of generation facilities preferred.
- NERC Compliance experience preferred.