Careers Teaching Assistant
- Job Title
- Careers Teaching Assistant
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Bronx, NY 10451
- Other Location
Start Date: Immediately
Employment Type: This is a part-time position
Location: New York City preferred, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Newark
Reports to: Lead Instructor
TKH General Overview
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders, who will uplift their communities out of poverty.
The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved Bronx neighborhoods by teaching young adults aged 16-24 skills to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact. Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, TKH has served more than 1,900 students. Current core programs include our Innovation Fellowship focused on software engineering, cyber security, and web design for adult job trainees, and our Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship for high school students learning computational thinking and web design.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your teaching and learning expertise to address the knowledge and skills gap to low income and underrepresented communities nationwide (we are rapidly expanding in NYC, Newark, Atlanta, and LA)
- Be part of a fast-moving and tech-enabled organization that’s building the next generation of tech entrepreneurs, technologists, and innovators
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions and improve organizational culture
- Flexible schedule hours within required evening class times and team meeting requirements; ability to work from home for part of the workweek
The TKH Career Teaching Assistant will be primarily responsible for the following activities for the 2022 Innovation Fellowship cohort. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting Teaching and Student Support
- Assist in the conducting of 1 weekly four hour course to a large, multi-track cohort of Innovation fellows between the hours of 5:30-9:30pm on Thursdays during the academic year.
- Assist in the conducting of 1 monthly one hour workshop during evening hours to a large class of fellows from both the Innovation Fellowship and Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship.
- All assistant duties include management tasks including drafting and posting assignments on Google Classroom, uploading resources and class recordings to Google Classroom, taking attendance, support of instruction, and implementation of both guided and unguided labs via Zoom.
- Review student feedback and troubleshoot class issues during team meetings.
- Review video assignments, and provide feedback and grades according to rubrics and lead instructor guidance
- Class Reporting Duties and Deliverables
- Work with the lead instructor to compile all student attendance, incident reports, lab submission rates and grades, weekly assignment submission rates and grades, and project deliverable submission rates and grades.
- Prepare to review reports during weekly Cohort Check-in.
- Recruitment & Pretraining Support
- Help recruitment staff in supporting info sessions and workshops as needed.
- Working knowledge of workforce development, adult education, and/or eLearning curriculum design, with preference to those who have undergone career training similar to TKH’s content and approach
- Proficiency in Google Apps, Google Classroom and MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) desired
- Experience working in classroom environments
- Excellent time management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and people skills
- Experience teaching, mentoring, or tutoring is a plus
- Excellent writing skills for content creation activities
- LMS understanding (Classrooms, Attendance, Grades, etc..)
Candidates must be available for the specific weekly events described below:
- Weekly department meeting: Tuesdays 4:00-5:00pm ET
- Weekly class time: Thursday 5:30-9:30pm ET
- Weekly team meeting: Mondays 10:00-11:00am ET (prefered but not required)
- Office hours with fellows: Friday & weekend (time of day is flexible)
The compensation for this part-time role is a flat monthly rate of $1,500/month for an expected ~15-hour workweek. In the event that special projects arise, there may be opportunities to work up to 10 additional hours in a week.
To ensure employee and student safety, as of January 1, 2022, all TKH employees are mandated to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
It is the policy of The Knowledge House, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunity without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.