Hospital Supervisor- Per Diem
- Job Title
- Hospital Supervisor- Per Diem
- Job ID
- Washington DC, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a per diem Hospital Supervisor who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The purpose of this position is to supervise staffing office personnel and to ensure the appropriate placement of admitted patients. The incumbent assists in the formulation of a nurse float pool and coordinates the daily use of supplement staff. The incumbent coordinates and assists in the monitoring of agency usage and supports nursing administration in ensuring that all patient care units are adequately staffed at all times. The incumbent also advocates for patient safety, adherence to incident reporting, and staffing effectiveness standards for the Joint Commission.
The shift requirements for this per diem position are 16 hours per week on evenings and nights, including every other weekend.
- Provides leadership, coordination, and management of personnel, and assumes responsibility for hospital administrative functions Monday through Friday when management/administration is not in-house and 24 hours on required weekends and holidays.
- Maintains efficient utilization of nursing resources, working collaboratively with unit leadership, charge nurses and non-clinical departments to evaluate current and potential staffing concerns.
- Coordinates patient placement, the admission status process, and the facilitation of direct admissions during routine and surge situations.
- Interprets administrative/departmental policy and procedures for all personnel and acts as an administrative liaison, clinical resource, and role model for staff.
- Responsible for triaging operational issues or clinical areas of concern and alerting the Administrator On-Call (AOC), when needed.
- Assists in the resolution of issues relating to physicians, patients, families, and staff and perform investigations pertaining to incidents/occurrences during their shift as well as reporting to the on-call leadership team.
- Participates in hourly rounding and ensures compliance of same.
- Ensures that services are provided within the philosophy and objectives as well as the policies and procedures of HUH.
- Functions as a role model demonstrating customer service skills, appropriate appearance, and overall professional demeanor.
A qualified candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited school required; Master’s degree in Nursing preferred.
- 5 years hospital-based nursing experience.
- 3+ years of solid nursing leadership experience in a hospital setting.
- Current Registered Nurse License for the District of Columbia.
- BLS, ACLS and PALS certified through the American Heart Association.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition for graduate program at Howard University after 1 year of commitment, and/or free tuition for undergraduate program at Howard University for your dependent children under 26 years old after 2 years of commitment.
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited school required; Master’s degree in Nursing preferred.
5 years hospital-based nursing experience.
3+ years of nursing leadership experience in a hospital setting.
Current Registered Nurse License for the District of Columbia.
BLS, ACLS and PALS certified through the American Heart Association.