Registered Nurse, General Surgery, Days
- Job Title
- Registered Nurse, General Surgery, Days
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Clinical Registered Nurse in Bariatrics and General Surgery who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
This full time position consists of three 12-hr Day shifts 7:30a-8:00p, including every other weekend. Differentials and Premiums apply.
The Registered Nurse:
- Collaborates with patient/family and health care team to determine health goals and interventions and to revise plans of care as needed
- Maintains awareness of the unit’s periodic statistics regarding core measures, nursing quality indicators, customer satisfaction measures, and actively participates in activities/behaviors that progressively improve the statistics
- Provides nursing care consistent with the nursing practice standards, policies and procedures established by the unit, department, division, and institution, professional ethics and standards, and legal requirements
- Serves in the rotational role of charge nurse upon completion of the 6 month orientation period, and with approval by the nurse manager
- Participates in unit performance improvement programs through ongoing design, assessment and measurement, and performance improvement activities
- Identifies patient care requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients and other persons in a position to understand care requirements
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families
- Promotes patient's independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions
- Assures quality of care by adhering to therapeutic standards; measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards; making or recommending necessary adjustments; following hospital and nursing division's philosophies and standards of care set by Nurse Practice Act of the District of Columbia, and other governing agency regulations
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results
- Demonstrates competency in clinical skills, bedside manner, infection control, physiological knowledge, administering medication, medical teamwork, multi-tasking, listening, verbal communication, health promotion and maintenance
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Associates Degree in Nursing Required. Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support and Advance Cardiovascular Life Support required. CNOR preferred.
- 12 months RN nursing required.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
100% Tuition Remission for employees and their dependent children
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Associates Degree Required.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia.
Maintains active American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support required; CNOR preferred.
At least 12 months clinical experience in acute care nursing.