College & Career Success Specialist
- Job Title
- College & Career Success Specialist
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Bronx, NY 10451
- Other Location
Employment Type: This is a full-time position
Location: Bronx, NY
Reports to: Program Manager, Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders, who will uplift their communities out of poverty. The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved communities to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact.
Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship (KKCF) is a 12-month tech exposure program for high school students in their Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years of high school. It starts with a stipended summer program featuring hands-on code and design instruction, followed by monthly small-group meetings to advance college and career goals in a structured manner. These meetings are led by a College & Career Success Specialist.
Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, and reaching all of New York City, TKH has served more than 1,750 students of all ages. TKH has recently expanded the KKCF program to service other underestimated communities in Atlanta, GA, Newark, NJ, and Los Angeles, CA.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your skills while giving back to NY/LA/ATL/NWK youth, low-income, and other underrepresented communities
- Become further exposed to the tech ecosystem
- Lead innovation in the emerging tech movement in underestimated communities
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions and improve org culture
- Competitive benefits and paid time off package
The College and Career Success Specialist is directly responsible for improving career and college outcomes for TKH’s High School-focused, Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship while also cultivating relationships with employers and STEM programs and coaching students on resume and cover letter updates. During the summer program portion of the Fellowship, the Specialist is a key support for program delivery. Throughout the Fellowship the Specialist checks in with Fellows to ensure success and data collection.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1 - Coordination and Facilitation of College and Career Pods - 40%
- Support the process of dividing the cohort of Fellows into small groups for monthly meetings focusing on college or career.
- Prepare agendas for monthly small group sessions
- Lead monthly small groups meetings to help Fellows advance their college/career journeys through peer mentorship
- Conduct follow-ups as needed to address needs discovered in sessions
- Research, identify, and organize resources and events for students to access
- Connect students to college access resources, ie: admissions offices and FAFSA support
- Support students individually and in groups with personal essays and program applications for postsecondary education programs
- Support students individually and in groups with resume writing for STEM internships and programs
- Connect high school fellows to college, internships, summer programs, or summer jobs, especially with an emphasis on STEM
- Support college-bound high-school Fellows in the college application process
2 - Overall Program Support - 15%
- Attend summer classes as needed to support fellows in their summer courses.
- Meet 1:1 with students for initial check-in
- Follow up with students who fail to attend class, submit assignments, or comply with any other program rules and expectations
- Attend Phase 2 Career Workshops and provide support for delivery of instruction
- Support any volunteer activities that support fellows
- Planning and implementation of Demo Day and Graduation Day and other program-based events
3 - Industry Engagement - 15%
- Partner with Career Specialists and Career Instructor to identify internship and upskilling opportunities and resources
- Identify events for fellows to attend across sites, and attend local NY events with students to encourage networking
- Attend and speak at tech, workforce, and education events to increase both your knowledge of the industry and industry’s awareness of TKH
4 - Outreach to Alumni - 10%
- Coordinate with the Program Manager in checking in with alumni on an intermittent basis to track employment outcomes 1 and 2 years from the date of program graduation
- Collaborate with Employment Specialist to organize alumni employment data in preparation for reporting to various TKH stakeholders
- Report alumni data to Career Success Manager
5 - Admin - 20%
- Maintain up-to-date records of student college and career movements and destinations
- Identify students for highlighting in philanthropy reports and social media
- Support student surveying process from creation to ensuring student completion
- Manage Program Calendar with networking opportunities, engagement events, and deadlines
- Keep all program trackers up to date with accurate information
- Support, Google Classroom management as needed
- Collect and file all student onboarding documents
- Complete student reports/progress reports based on Partner needs
Qualifications and Skills:
You’re an ideal candidate if you are/have:
- 2+ years of work experience ideally in a non-profit, education, or youth development environment
- Experience working with underestimated communities, especially Black and Latino and low-income communities
- A proactive self-starter
- A passion and love for our students and their genius. A tenacious desire to smash all barriers in the way of our students accessing rewarding, high-paying careers in technology.
- Interest in learning more about the technology field in service of helping young people access the industry
- Proficient in Google Drive applications and other apps for work
- Proficiency using Excel and Google Sheets
- Ability to independently produce high quality work, delegate, problem-solve, and ask for help when needed.
- Calm under pressure, with strong follow-through and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong work ethic and commitment to produce high-quality work
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines in a constantly changing and fast-paced environment.
- Effective communication skills, including clear writing and professional email
- Highly collaborative, including actively reaching out to colleagues to support or consult on projects
- Commitment to contributing to positive organizational culture and core values.
The salary range for this role will be between $55K - $60K. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, a 2% 401k match, a monthly tech stipend, and unlimited days of paid time off.
To ensure employee and student safety, as of January 1, 2022, all TKH employees are mandated to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
It is the policy of The Knowledge House Fellowship, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunity without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.