Sr Community Engagement Specialist
- Job Title
- Sr Community Engagement Specialist
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future for all.
The Senior Community Engagement Specialist will support and organize internal and external community relations. This position will drive project level giving from development through operation and corporate level giving and support as outlined by National Grid’s Responsible Business Charter. This position will partner with community stakeholders, developers, plant personnel, construction, executive management and other departments. The Community Coordinator will report to the Vice President of SHE Risk & Compliance and Sr. Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Design and deliver National Grid Renewables’ community outreach strategy.
- Administer and deliver key Responsible Business projects, including those on social mobility, and education and skills, diversity, equity & inclusion working with other teams in Marketing and Communications to maximize external recognition.
- Work with leadership team to encourage company volunteering and wellness at work.
- Ensure that community projects in areas where National Grid Renewables works have a positive impact and are delivered efficiently and within budget.
- Coordinate and administer employee chosen charity partnership and other employee giving schemes, including matching gifts and National Grid’s Dollars for Doers program.
- Facilitate the Community Giving Committee by providing giving suggestions, presenting employee suggestions/requests and managing payment and coordination for selected giving.
- Track progress against volunteering and skills development targets.
- Foster NG Renewables internal community by driving health and wellness initiatives (flu shot clinics, mental health training, supporting the construction health hubs).
- Manage and monitor National Grid Renewables’ community partnerships and key relationships
- Work alongside Corporate Responsibility partners to deliver strong projects that support people in the areas where National Grid Renewables works.
- Manage relationships and partnerships with external stakeholders, including local communities, 3rd party organizations and others as applicable.
- Drive support for projects locally and statewide and develop and execute campaigns to combat opposition to renewable energy and/or projects.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications department to ensure community and charitable projects are recognized internally and externally.
- Help develop employee campaigns designed to raise awareness and inspire colleagues to get involved.
- Manage project charitable funds and foundation partnerships alongside legal, asset management, accounting, and development teams.
- Ability to travel up to 30%, with some on short notice.
- Experience working with external and internal stakeholders to deliver community-level projects.
- Understanding of the energy/utility sector preferably renewable energy, and relevant internal/external influences (such as governmental, regulatory, NGOs, communities, employee relations, media, agencies, industry bodies).
- Able to manage and prioritize complex, competing communication issues – maintaining high standards and alignment with National Grid Renewables’ strategy
- Experience in volunteering and other structured employee participation in responsible business activity
- Demonstrated experience in delivering campaigns to lead to positive improvements in the workplace and/or in the community.
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and externally.
- Understanding of the importance of strategic communications.
- Highly articulate and persuasive communicator.
- Proven collaborator and networking expert.
Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience building grassroots and community support for a cause
- Ability to remain calm in stressful/tense situations
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish effective working relationships and articulate issues and subject matter to process owners while being a team player.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Strong verbal skills
- Achievement driven
- Able to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Loyal and committed to the organization
- Pursuit of personal growth
Position level will be determined based on candidate experience
The position offers a competitive salary plus performance-based bonuses. A strong benefit package is also offered including health and dental insurance, as well as disability and life insurance.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of reference check, a background check. National Grid Renewables is an Equal Opportunity Employer.