Chief Financial Officer (Joint venture between Warner Bros. & Universal Pictures)
- Job Title
- Chief Financial Officer (Joint venture between Warner Bros. & Universal Pictures)
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Universal City, CA 91608
- Other Location
Studio Distribution Services (SDS) is a joint venture between Warner Bros. and Universal Pictures. We are the leading distributor for the entertainment industry with the company responsible for the Sales, Retail Marketing and Supply Chain of home entertainment products for both Studios.
We manage a wide range of famous film labels, including Universal Pictures, Warner Bros., Legendary Entertainment, Focus Features, HBO, DreamWorks Animation, MGM, Illumination Entertainment…and also managing distribution for other partners including STX, Village Roadshow, BBC, Cartoon Network, Entertainment One, FUNimation, Shout Factory!, Pure Flix, and Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Partners.
SDS oversees the sales, distribution, and retail marketing of new release and library content, for both film and television. With our entrepreneurial spirit and the backing of two world-renowned media organizations, we endeavor to be a bold and innovative company that’s not afraid to take risks, whilst maintaining the trust of our studio and retail partners. SDS believes in fostering an inclusive and collaborative culture, and embraces diverse backgrounds, ideas, and approaches, at all levels within the organization. Headquartered on the iconic Universal Lot in Los Angeles, SDS also has sales offices in Bentonville, AR, Minneapolis, MN, and Toronto, Canada.
Joining the SDS team comes with all the perks you’d expect from Warner Bros. and Universal, like access to incredible content, a hybrid work schedule observing core hours (normally 3 days in the office & 2 days remote), unlimited vacation, robust healthcare benefits, ability to contribute to a 401k on day one with up to 6% matching, training & development, access to Studio Leadership, and more.
The CFO is part of a Leadership Team that manages and guides a key entertainment business for two major entertainment companies in the US and Canada. This is a key role on SDS’s Leadership Team charged with accurately reporting financial and other information and guiding and driving the performance of the business. The CFO is also responsible for reporting to Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) and Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD), as well as the board, in relation to the performance of the individual studios, as well as their third party distribution partners. The CFO also relies on the Controllership services of WBD Global Business Services (GBS) and Controllership teams, which provide a variety of accounting & reporting services to SDS.
The salary range for this role is $280,000-$350,000.
- Responsible for the overall financial integrity of SDS including financial reporting, statutory compliance, service organization audits, and any special projects
- Facilitate business strategy discussions around core finance cycles (Budgets, Reforecasts) and proactively assist in guiding business initiatives
- Oversee budgeting and forecasting cycles for operating income and cash flows
- Partner with Commercial Planning on New Release and catalog forecasting
- Partner with other departments and WBD service providers (IT, GBS) to manage overhead costs to maximize efficiency across the organization
- Oversee SDS’ corporate card and T&E systems
- Drive financial analysis that monitors the health of the business and drives key initiatives
- Ensure that product and customer profitability is consistently analyzed and communicated on a timely basis to enhance decision making
- Support, develop, motivate, and engage a team of finance professionals through clear goal setting and regular performance discussions, annual compensation cycles, and Performance Management
- Partner with peers to identify and implement operational and financial best practices across the business
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the UPHE and WBD Finance teams, as well as the Board, ensuring transparent financial objectives are clearly defined, communicated, and prioritized
- Help create a culture of inclusion and collaboration across the wider business
- Minimum of 15 years of successful, relevant senior financial management experience coupled with an exceptional track record in partnering with commercial teams to drive results
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or related field preferred
- Relevant media, Home Entertainment, or manufacturing & distribution experience is a plus
- Demonstrated background and knowledge of senior-level corporate financial management within a large, high-profile, matrixed corporate environment
- Extensive analytical experience
- Extensive experience in managing and motivating teams in a fast moving and matrixed environment
- Significant experience of leading budgets and forecasting across a full P&L
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills with proven ability to present complex business problems to Senior Management
- Technical expertise in leveraging financial data and other KPIs to drive business success
- Track record of simplifying / modernizing Financial Reporting process and systems, including the ability to implement new systems and tools to drive growth
- Strong leadership traits to inspire and motivate teams within SDS
- Strong attention to detail and high standards for quality and accuracy
- Proven business partner with the ability to guide and counsel on a wide variety of P&L initiatives and priorities
- Ability to work in a fast, dynamic environment and manage competing priorities
- Embrace diversity of thought, background, and experience
- Ability to adapt and work well in a fast-paced, results-oriented and rapidly changing environment
Studio Distribution Services’ policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Studio Distribution Services will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.