Senior Network Engineer
- Job Title
- Senior Network Engineer
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community-focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction, and operation.
Job Summary: The Senior Network Engineer will be responsible for maintaining, designing, and implementing networking, firewall, data communications, and telecommunications infrastructures of the firm. The environment consists of tiered multi-core network components interconnected using a variety of point-to-point and VPN connections to energy utilities companies, market data vendors, ISPs, remote sites, and users. This position will also have the responsibility of administering and maintaining all IT infrastructure hosted at National Grid Renewables, operational facilities, and with cloud-based providers. Experience in the renewable energy industry is preferred.
Complete Job Description:
- Troubleshoot and analyze all elements of the Network and Telephony deployments, including software, communications devices, circuits, routers, and end station devices.
- Utilize software and hardware tools to monitor and control the performance and status of all network resources, ensuring real-time and proactive monitoring of all network, server, and telecommunications systems.
- Identify and diagnose problems affecting network performance.
- Design, architect, and maintain a secure and highly available LAN/WAN environment to support the mission-critical networking requirements of the firm. This includes managing and securing all data and other third-party services.
- Enhance and improve the existing network infrastructure.
- Define, implement, and oversee the daily operational processes for all network, server, and telecommunications systems.
- Maintain 24x7x365 coverage and support for network, SCADA, and voice systems. Implement change control and documentation processes.
- Utilize the deployed network management systems to gather data and produce reports for capacity utilization and performance/scalability planning purposes.
- 7+ years of experience designing, building, and maintaining preferably financial enterprise network environments.
- CCNP or higher certification is desirable, along with a BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent field experience.
- Minimum 7 years of hands-on network engineering and troubleshooting experience, with preferable exposure to market data networks. Strong computer science or telecommunications background. CCNP or higher certification is desirable.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Core Routing and Switching, including design, configuration, troubleshooting, and usage of recommended best practices.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Fortinet, Cisco, and Sonicwall-based network technologies.
- Understanding of routing protocols.
- Understanding of Spanning-tree.
- Understanding of Network Security from an enterprise and SCADA/IoT perspective.
- Understanding and configuration experience of Aruba and Fortinet Wireless controllers.
- Network troubleshooting skills, utilizing Wireshark, Netflow, Solarwinds, and other tools.
- Maintain the Solarwinds network monitoring system for real-time and proactive monitoring of all network resources.
- Proven extensive engineering documentation skills using Visio with a focus on details.
- Manage daily operational processes for all network and telecommunications systems, following the change control process.
- Maintain the servers and administrative services related to both internal and customer-facing environments.
- DHCP and DNS maintenance, operation, and use