- Job Title
- Civil/Structural Engineer
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community-focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction, and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high-value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair, and affordable energy future for all.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Involved in all aspects of project structural and geotechnical engineering design including preliminary project design and evaluation, preconstruction evaluation through RFP, project award, construction, and project closeout.
- Conduct design review – in conjunction with Owner’s Engineers – of the structural and geotechnical aspects of projects throughout the final design process and coordinate with other internal reviews and key stake holders as needed.
- Evaluate third party consultant’s structural design of foundations and ancillary structures in accordance with project codes and specifications and NG Renewables’ standards.
- Identify potential mechanical and financial risks or construction issues and provide mitigation measures to resolve all risks or anticipated construction issues during the design process.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with all personnel including teammates, vendors, and consultants to ensure satisfaction of internal/external customer requirements.
- Develop and maintain working relationship with the consultants, subconsultants, engineering firm, and/or contractor conducting the work.
- Conduct site visits, internal site review, and evaluation for projects in consideration by the development team.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of design standards and criteria for project infrastructure.
- Ensure compliance with design standards, including ongoing review of third-party QA/QC documentation, and accuracy of final documentation and test data.
- Provide technical support to plant operations as may be required for project infrastructure, facilities, and systems.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THIS ROLE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Structural Engineering; or a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering with a structural emphasis including structural steel and concrete design. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Engineer-in-Training (EI/EIT) or Professional/Structural Engineer (PE/SE) registration preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working in engineering and construction, with preference given to candidates with experience in utility scale renewable energy development and experience working with EPCs on design and technical problem solving.
- Thorough knowledge related to the structural design of foundations, anchorage, connections, steel, and reinforced concrete.
- Thorough knowledge of common design codes and specifications such as ASCE 7, AISC 360, ACI 318, and the IBC.
- Proficiency using technical computer programs such as AutoCAD, MATHCAD, STAAD Pro, RISA 3D, LPile, MFAD, or equivalent alternatives; GIS programs such as Google Earth, ESRI ArcGIS, or equivalent alternatives; and personal computer tools such as MS Office, MS Project, Visio, and other database managements systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organization skills and the ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines simultaneously.