- Job Title
- Grants Manager
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Dorchester, MA 02125
- Other Location
Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation (DBEDC) Seeks a Grants Manager
About Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation (DBEDC)
DBEDC acts to build a strong, thriving and diverse community in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhoods. We develop, preserve and sustain affordable housing for rent and for ownership. We create commercial and economic development opportunities. We build community through community organizing and civic engagement activities. We are focused on the concepts of equitable development without displacement and providing opportunities for economic mobility.
Since our founding in 1979, DBEDC has developed and preserved over 1100 units of rental and homeownership housing and 200,000 square feet of commercial space. We have created around 1,000 jobs and involved more than 1,500 young people in after school leadership development and organizing activities. We are one of Boston’s oldest and most established community development organizations with an annual operating budget of almost $5 million, a staff of just under 30, and $44 million in assets.
About the Role
The Grants Manager is primarily responsible for writing grant proposals, reports, and other development communications. The Grants Manager will identify potential grant support from government agencies, foundations and corporations to meet the programmatic and financial needs of DBEDC, research prospective funding opportunities, and support DBEDC's fundraising plans to meet and increase current fundraising goals.
This position requires the ability to work during some evenings, weekends, and early mornings for events. It also requires the ability to travel locally to attend meetings and events.
What you can expect to do in the role:
Grant Development/ Sourcing
- Proactively cultivates, develops and manages relationships with a network of grant-making institutions to meet revenue targets. Continually builds the pipeline over a multi-year period, staying apprised of developments in the field.
- Conducts research on various private and public sources of funding, including foundations, corporations, state, federal and local agencies, and attends informational events.
- Collaboration with the Director of Resource Development and the Chief Executive Officer to to engage with program leaders at grant-making organizations to identify areas of strategic alignment and to solicit requests for proposals.
- Develops and maintains thorough familiarity of DBEDC's mission, vision, values and daily operations to effectively develop, integrate and align current and prospective grant-writing strategy.
- Generates revenue for DBEDC through timely submission of well-researched, well-written and well-documented grant/funding proposals according to the funder's requirements.
- Manages and coordinates grants and contracts from needs assessment and program development through award, implementation, reporting and invoicing.
- Maintains and implements funding calendar, reporting, and activity log including cultivation activities on a shared drive and in the organizational database.
- Collaborates with the Finance team to gather relevant grant data, to understand, monitor, and communicate about DBEDC's grants program, and to develop grant budgets.
- Conducts pre-grant application meetings/reviews with appropriate team members across departments to determine cost/benefits, eligibility, timelines, responsibilities, and application process.
- Meets or exceeds annual goals for revenue and number of applications submitted.
- Participates as a team member in strategic planning, resource development and marketing and other organizational activities.
- Actively participates in projects, special events, cross-functional teams or workgroups that support the work of the entire organization.
- Collaborates with the Communications Manager to develop marketing content and materials that will be relevant to corporate donors and foundations.
- Other organizational duties as assigned.
You’ll do well in this role if you:
- Want to work at an organization that is committed to racial equity and serves a diverse community predominantly of color.
- Are people and community-focused and have the ability to engage people from a wide array of backgrounds.
- Have 3 to 5 years of proven grant writing experience with complex, creative grant submissions and revenue achievement.
- Possesses knowledge of grant programs, policies and procedures for submittal and monitoring applications, letters of intent and proposals.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of and relationships with local and national grant-making institutions.
- Has superior English writing skills: can write clearly and informatively; has various writing styles to meet needs; can present numerical data effectively; can read, interpret written information quickly assessing fit and translating relationship to DBEDC's needs/services.
- Can demonstrate ability to turn data into narrative, and creatively find funding sources to meet project requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under rigorous deadlines when necessary, independently and with others.
- Excellent project management skills, moving from strategy to tactics, as projects require. Generates creative solutions, demonstrates superior attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to use cloud-based collaboration software like G Suite (or Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), and CRM’s.
- Ability to develop and maintain trust and confidence among various constituencies, including senior management, team leads, community partners and funding sources.
- Excellent judgment, strong diplomacy skills and professionalism required, including the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong collaboration skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to influence the participation and work of internal and external partners at all levels
- Strong judgment and humility to seek input, feedback, and assistance when appropriate
- A high level of diplomacy, accountability, customer service, problem-solving skill, and the ability to handle challenges with grace and through open communication
It would be additionally phenomenal if you:
- Experience with Salesforce CRM or Raiser's Edge
Other important details:
- Don’t be discouraged from applying if you don’t “check all the boxes”. We appreciate the uniqueness of candidates and there is no “perfect" resume!
- Salary range: $75,000 – $85,000.
DBEDC’s total compensation package features an amazing set of benefits which we considered towards the overall compensation, including:
- (5) Generous cost-sharing medical insurance packages for selection and no eligible waiting period.
- Employer paid Dental and Vision coverage
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance program
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Life and Accident Death
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Employee Wellbeing On-Demand Services
- Perks at Work Program
- 3 personal days
- 3 weeks’ vacation to start
- 15 sick days
- 17 paid holidays
- Birthday leave
- 5 volunteer days
- 403 (b) plan with generous employer contribution
- Flexible hybrid work environment
- Pay Range
- $75,000.00 Annually to $85,000.00 Annually