Director, Transmission - PJM
- Job Title
- Director, Transmission - PJM
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction, and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future for all.
National Grid Renewables is seeking a Director to join our transmission team to manage the company’s PJM region. This person will be responsible for evaluating electrical aspects of renewable energy projects. This position will be based out the company headquarters in Bloomington, MN.
General Position Overview
Director: Makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have an important impact on extensive engineering activities. Initiates and maintains extensive contact with key engineers and officials of other organizations and companies, requiring skill in persuasion and negotiation of critical issues. Job requirements include demonstrating creativity, foresight, and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving unique engineering problems, program objectives and requirements, organizing programs, and developing standards and guides for diverse engineering activities. Receives general administrative direction. The job could require them to direct several team members. May be assisted on individual projects by other engineers.
- Supervise, guide, and perform technical analyses in the PJM region relating to wind, solar and other project development with high confidence levels.
- Performing analytical and administrative tasks relating to electrical interconnection and development of wind, solar, or other energy projects.
- Representing National Grid Renewables at appropriate industry conferences and meetings, participating in discussions and providing comments.
- Provides major inputs and works with the PJM RTO (and potentially other ICs) within the different forums to impact and change different governing tariffs, policies, and reforms.
- Interface with different PJM Customers and Stakeholders to achieve successful project creation and implementation.
- Ability to summarize projects’ results and present to company’s executive leadership and discuss/present if needed with accuracy and clarity.
- Ability to lead the efforts and/or create different reports and presentations as required from the Transmission Department.
- Ability to lead and supervise different staff members, validate their work, mentor, and provide guidance if needed.
- Demonstrate leadership and provide guidance to other engineers in the transmission regarding goal settings, career objectives. Making sure the personal goals are aligned with the company goals.
- Ability to fill in for some of the VP-Transmission duties if needed.
- Possesses creative thinking, mature foresight and problem solving skills to ensure completion of analytic and administrative tasks relating to Project Scoping, Screening Analyses, Generator Interconnection, Facilities Studies, IA negotiation and Strategic Initiatives. Receives company policy and other related instructions from the Vice President of Transmission.
- Bachelor's degree (and/or Master’s degree) in Electrical Engineering. Professional Engineering (PE) license is strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of electrical engineering/transmission planning experience or ISO Generation Interconnection Process industry experience. *
- PJM knowledge/experience is a must. Ability to communicate clearly with PJM (and any other related RTO) to gather information regarding GI application, processes, cost allocation….etc
- Ability to review and critique TO/RTO work/results and validate for accuracy and communicate back to the RTO for comments or corrections.
- Expert user of PSS/E, and TARA analysis software. Ability to analyze, and critique results and provide feedback, whether to internal staff or to RTOs and TOs.
- Experience with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) regional processes and with the different NERC TPL standards is a strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.