Student Success Specialist
- Job Title
- Student Success Specialist
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Los Angeles, CA
- Other Location
Start Date: Immediately
Employment Type: This is a full-time position
Location: Los Angeles is strongly preferred (New York, Newark considered)
Reports to: Innovation Fellowship Program Manager
The Knowledge House’s mission is to empower and sustain a talent pipeline of technologists, entrepreneurs, and digital leaders who will uplift their communities out of poverty.
The Knowledge House (TKH) approach is to (1) close gaps in the education-to-employment pipeline in underserved Bronx neighborhoods by teaching young adults aged 16-24 skills to launch careers or ventures in technology, and (2) support links between local youth, tech innovation, and business development that bring positive community impact.
Headquartered in the South Bronx, the poorest congressional district, TKH has served more than 1,850 students. Current core programs include our Innovation Fellowship in software engineering for adult job trainees and our Karim Kharbouch Coding Fellowship for high school students to learn web design.
Benefits of working at The Knowledge House:
- Apply your skills while giving back to youth, low-income, and other underrepresented communities
- Become further exposed to the tech ecosystem
- Lead innovation in the emerging tech movement
- Join a startup where every team member is expected to contribute to strategy, create solutions, and improve organizational culture.
- Flexible schedule hours; ability to work from home for part of the week.
Reporting to the Innovation fellowship Program Manager, the Student Success Specialist is responsible for the persistence and success of each student at TKH. The Student Success Specialist supports students’ recruitment experience, onboarding, persistence, and graduation. Their central focus is coaching students around self-management skills and connecting them with supportive services and resources to assist in barrier removal. They do this through monthly case management meetings with students to review progress toward program completion and professional and personal goals and communicating expectations, course schedules, and assignments to students throughout the program. They also own the collection and reporting of student persistence and performance data to keep the team informed about student needs for special interventions and/or further support.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic leader with a problem-solving orientation and curious mindset who communicates effectively and possess the ability to:
- Establish and maintain positive and trusting relationships with students, and staff to effectively support student success.
- Posses excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively convey information, provide guidance, and listen to students' concerns
- Demonstrate empathy and compassion towards students, understanding their unique circumstances and provide a safe and inclusive environment for them to seek support
- Analyze student data and identify trends or patterns to develop strategies for improving student success rates.
- Posses strong problem-solving skills to help students overcome obstacles and find solutions to academic or personal challenges (study skills, time management,goal setting,etc.)
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt and meet the evolving needs of students and the changing landscape of education.
As a growing organization, we expect that the specific needs and job description will shift over time and other duties may be assigned by the Innovation Fellowship Program Manager.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Promote TKH programs to students, community members, and partners
- Support recruitment efforts for assigned programs, including application screening, interviewing, and enrollment
- Facilitate run-of-show for Orientation and Demo Day for assigned programs.
Student Case Management (60%)
- Check-in monthly with each student in caseload, tracking work readiness, progress towards individual SMART goals, course completion, and barriers to success
- Assist students with their career journey, providing social-emotional learning tips and strategies.
- Provide supportive services to students who are facing barriers hindering their performance.
- Coordinate mentorship, tutoring, celebrations, and additional student support, ensuring strong participation and mastery of technical and career competencies.
- Conduct all case management per program site, including student incidents, contacting absent students, and updating the fellow improvement plan list.
- Work with instructors and career success coordinator to assess students and identify their next steps post-program
- Assist instructors in tracking student activity inside and outside the classroom and refer students to office hours and tutoring schedules.
- Manage and update a database of students, tracking performance, feedback, and activities.
- Distribute, collect, and organize student files, data, and paperwork, including media release forms, attendance sheets, case notes, etc.
- Support the execution of student events, including volunteer engagements, hackathons, company trips, and graduation for each cohort.
- Represent TKH at networking events, meetups, trainings, and community engagement opportunities.
- Assist with updating the Student Success Handbook each year with new program schedules and refreshed procedures, actively collecting usability feedback/challenges to suggest revisions to be approved by the Director of Programs.
- 2+ years of work experience, ideally in a non-profit, education, or youth development environment
- Proficient in Google Drive applications and other apps for work; Experience with Salesforce is a major plus.
- Proficiency using Excel and Google Sheets
- Experience using Canvas Learning Management System a plus.
- Analytical skills and attention to detail
- Proactivity and self-starter
- Calm under pressure, with strong follow through and ability to meet deadlines.
- Effective communication skills, including a high level of clarity and professionalism in written communication, including Slack, Email, and case notes. writing and professional email
Skills & Approach to Work
- Computer proficiency, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive, Google Suite, Google Classroom and other Learning Management Systems
- Excellent interpersonal communication and persuasive communication skills, including public speaking abilities.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines in a constantly changing and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to independently produce high-quality work, delegate, problem-solve, and ask for help when needed.
- A passion and love for our students and their genius. A tenacious desire to smash all barriers in the way of our students accessing rewarding, high-paying careers in technology.
- Coachable, open to feedback, and eager to develop their current skills
- Teamwork, including actively reaching out to colleagues to support or consult on projects and maintains a collaborative work environment
- Commitment to contributing to positive organizational culture and core values.
The salary range for this role will be between $58,800 - $64,500. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, a 2% 401k match, a monthly tech stipend, and unlimited days of paid time off.
It is the policy of The Knowledge House Fellowship, Inc. to promote and provide equal employment opportunity without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.