- Job Title
- Permitting Intern
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future for all.
About the Position:
National Grid Renewables’ Permitting Department prepares, obtains, and ensures compliance with land use, environmental, and construction related permits for our utility-scale solar and wind projects. The team is seeking a summer 2024 intern to assist with preparing permit applications, research, and screening of new project origination. This experience will allow the individual to be exposed to a professional office atmosphere and will focus on effective communication and written work. The duties of the intern will have a real impact on the firm, and the student will present on their experience to leadership staff at the end of the summer. This individual will learn fast in a changing and growing company and will take away “real world experience” as well as a better understanding of the renewable energy industry.
- Review potential solar and wind sites by looking at environmental attributes and research applicable laws/regulations
- Draft permit applications and supporting ongoing permitting efforts by processing mailings, attending hearings, etc
- Research potential new markets, sites, and other opportunities for National Grid Renewables’ development team
- Creating timelines and trackers for projects
- End of summer presentation: Topic to be determined by intern and manager
- Other duties as assigned
What You Bring to the Role:
- College student with a strong academic record (Junior/Senior preferred)
- Independent working style (NG Renewables requires all its employees, including interns, to be self-motivated and able to take a new assignment and run with it)
- Extreme attention to detail
- Ability to take on a wide variety of tasks with enthusiasm and diligence (as an intern you will be handling assignments that are critical to the successful operation of our business)
- Strong written and oral communication skills (you will be interfacing constantly with both internal and external parties in this role)
Other Important Information:
- This is a paid internship
- Expected hours are about 40/week