Electrical Engineer IV/V - Transmission, ERCOT
- Job Title
- Electrical Engineer IV/V - Transmission, ERCOT
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction, and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair, and affordable energy future for all.
National Grid Renewables is seeking an ERCOT Senior or Principal Engineer to join our transmission team. This person will be responsible for evaluating electrical aspects of renewable energy projects.
General Position Overview
Principal Engineer: Applies extensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignment. Makes decisions independently on engineering problems and methods and represents the organization to resolve important questions. This position requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts, and practices of own field and related sciences or disciplines. The knowledge and expertise required for this level usually result from progressive experience. Consults supervisor concerning unusual problems and developments. Supervises, coordinates, and reviews the work of a small staff of engineers and/or technicians. Estimates personnel needs, creates their own schedules, able to meet assigned deadlines and request help if needed.
- Performing technical analyses relating to wind, solar and other project development in the ERCOT region to a high degree of confidence.
- Performing analytical and administrative tasks relating to electrical interconnection and development of wind, solar, or other energy projects.
- Representing National Grid Renewables and/or renewable energy at appropriate industry conferences and meetings, participating in discussions and providing comments.
- Work with ERCOT (and potentially other ICs) within the different RTO forums to impact and change different governing tariffs, policies and reforms.
- Interface with Customers and Stakeholders to achieve successful project creation and implementation.
- Ability to summarize projects’ results and discuss/present if needed with accuracy and clarity.
- Ability to create different reports and presentations as required from the Transmission Department.
- Ability to lead and supervise Engineers I-III, validate their work, and provide guidance if needed.
- Bachelor's degree (and/or Master’s degree) in Electrical Engineering. Professional Engineering (PE) license is preferred.
- 10+ years of electrical engineering/transmission planning experience or ISO Generation Interconnection Process industry experience. *
- ERCOT knowledge/experience required. Ability to communicate clearly with the RTO to gather information regarding GI application, models, RIOO, RARF, processes, cost allocation and related processes.
- Ability to review and critique TO/RTO work/results and validate for accuracy and communicate back to the RTO for comments or corrections.
- Creative Thinker and problem solver regarding completion of analytic and administrative tasks relating to Project Scoping, Screening Analyses, Generator Interconnection, Facilities Studies, IA negotiation and Strategic Initiatives. Work is reviewed for application of professional judgment.
- Expert user of PSS/E, and TARA analysis software. Ability to learn new software (if needed) at a relatively fast pace.
- Experience with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) regional processes and with the different NERC TPL standards is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.