- Job Title
- Executive Director
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Other Location
The Grand Rapids African American Health Institute (GRAAHI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to achieving healthcare parity in the African American Community through advocacy, education, and research. We have a rich history of contributing to social justice and racial equity policy, programming, and interventions. We seek to employ talented and success-oriented individuals with integrity and a strong work ethic. We invest in our employees and believe their success is the foundation of the organization’s success.
We are looking for a dynamic and visionary Executive Director to provide overall leadership, strategy, and direction for the organization. As the Executive Director, you will handle operational, financial, and administrative management and oversee programs and fund development. You will be responsible for the planning and execution of community outreach, research initiatives, and advocacy efforts. You will lead the organization through change and take it to the next stage of growth and excellence.
Working together with the Board of Directors and a proactive and data-driven team, you will:
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic plan and formulation of policies and procedures to guide the organization and translate these objectives into action
- Manage multiple projects, deadlines, and activities including finance and accounting – ensuring that the organization operates within the budget and reporting finances accurately
- Develop and execute a robust fundraising plan, assess opportunities, and determine the most impactful programs that align with the funding sources
- Establish and maintain a healthy and respectful working environment that attracts and retains quality staff members and encourages diversity of ideas
- Educate, engage, and empower staff members and preserve a culture of the team and individual accountability
- Promote mission, vision, and values while serving as a positive and influential representative of the organization
- Build and strengthen trusting relationships and alliances with key partners, stakeholders, and community-based groups and organizations
The ideal candidate is a highly-competent nonprofit leader with:
- Master’s degree in public administration, healthcare administration, human services, or related field (Ph.D. desired)
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in government, education, public health, human services, or related organization (5 years in management required, executive level preferred)
- Previous university teaching experience is an advantage and past success working with a board of directors a plus
- Extensive experience in budget and fiscal management
- Proven ability in grant writing, securing sponsorships, promoting capital campaigns, and driving fundraising goals to advance programming
- A forward-thinking approach to problem-solving – initiating creative ideas and innovative solutions
- Track record of effectively leading, coaching, and mentoring a high-performing team
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations – a passionate advocate and persuasive communicator
- Entrepreneurial and energetic spirit and outgoing and approachable personality that contribute to creating partnerships and collaborative projects
- Unwavering commitment and dedication to diversity, equality, and inclusion – engaging a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and project management software, and willingness to learn new technology
- You will get the chance to form relationships with motivated staff members, a phenomenal community, and stakeholders who genuinely care about the organization and improving the health of the community.
- You will see the impact of the work that you do and meet the people that are transformed by the programs of the organization.
- This is the perfect opportunity to support the community while addressing healthcare issues.
- We offer health insurance and paid time off.
GRAAHI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.