- Job Title
- Bioinformatics Scientist
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Other Location
NxGen MDx provides best-in-class genetic screening to families across the nation. Nominated as a Top 50 Company to Watch in Michigan and as one of the Best Young Companies to Work For, NxGen provides bright opportunities awaiting talented individuals seeking to pursue a career in the genetic testing field. By delivering a healthy work-life balance and a fun team environment, we build a solid foundation around our best thinking while delivering cutting-edge products.
We are currently looking for a Bioinformatics Scientist who will provide bioinformatics software tools for data analysis and support the Information Technology needs of the NxGen MDx laboratory and Grand Rapids office.
- Collaborate and consult with scientists to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions, and design computational strategies for biological research.
- Contribute to the design, development, implementation, and testing of bio-computing tools as part of the genomics programs.
- Create and modify web-based bioinformatics tools, public domain biological databases, and software tools for sequence, domain, and structural analysis.
- Help manage LIS interface with Pathagility or other LIS companies.
- Ensure completion of deliverables and adherence to timelines.
- Analyze and resolve issues that have the potential to jeopardize performance and ability to meet agreed-upon deliverables.
- Recommend new programming opportunities, new systems and processes, and improvements in operations. Implement operational improvements approved by senior management.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent. Applicable work experience may substitute for the degree.
- Clinical or scientific laboratory experience.
- Knowledge of multiple computer languages including R and Python (required), Perl, C++.
- Knowledge of GNU/Linux (required) and/or Apple/Darwin command-line tools.
- Drive. Ownership. Accountability. Passion.
- Ability to conceptualize and think creatively. Open to exploring new ways of approaching work that can improve results, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Extremely strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to translate “technical speak” in a way that end-users at all levels can understand.
- High energy work ethic with the ability to work independently while maintaining excellent customer relationships.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and PHI concepts.
What you can expect when you join us:
- A base salary and bonus potential
- A healthy work-life balance
- Rich benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, and 401(k) with company match
- Cool perks such as gym membership discounts and flex spending accounts
- A chance to be part of a talented, hardworking, driven, and most of all – fun team!
NxGen MDx is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all candidates for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.