- Job Title
- Graphic Designer
- Chicago, IL
- Other Location
AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) mobilizes communities to create equity and justice for people living with and vulnerable to HIV or chronic conditions. We envision a world in which people living with HIV or chronic conditions will thrive, and there will be no new HIV cases. Our work focuses on advancing health equity, preventing new cases of HIV, serving as a collaboration and knowledge center, being a bold voice for change and strengthening our organizational excellence.
We are seeking an individual to serve as our Graphic Designer. AFC’s Graphic Designer uses a variety of skills and strategies to support AFC’s brand, amplify voices in the HIV community, and interact with AFC’s audiences in meaningful and innovative ways. In this support role, the Graphic Designer will create and manage visual and graphic design projects for the organization as well as create written content as needed.
Principle functions and responsibilities of this position include the following:
Visual Content Development and Design
- Execute design deliverables for print, web and social using Adobe Creative Cloud tools;
- Provide creative and art direction over graphics created for organizational initiatives;
- Lead projects including, but not limited to, the Annual Report, special event campaigns and AFC’s website;
- Develop relationships with internal stakeholders to achieve their business goals through high-quality, data-informed, culturally humble design deliverables;
- Maintain a responsive and efficient process for managing internal graphic design requests;
- Maintains relationships between AFC and designers, developers and printers for outsourced creative projects and campaigns;
- Create graphics and design that actively responds to the needs and tastes of AFC’s audiences, including AFC’s Priority Populations (young, gay Black men; transgender women of color; Latino/Latinx gay men and Black women living in high-incidence areas);
- Monitor organizational compliance to AFC’s branding guidelines on materials created and distributed;
- Work with photographers to plan photos needed for online content, direct mail campaigns and other communications;
- Write or coordinate at least 1 story per year for AFC’s Inside Story blog or News section;
- Create pitches for stories that are ultimately approved by the Senior Director of Communications, the Director of Individual and Planned Giving, the Chief Officer of External Relations, and/or the President/CEO;
- Apply style and editorial rules found in AFC’s Style Guide and the AP Stylebook, and effectively use electronic editing tools;
- Conduct interviews or attend meetings to obtain information and data, verify facts, research and/or seek technical advice.
Special and Ongoing Projects
- Update visual content and copy on AFC’s website on a regular basis, in close coordination with AFC’s department leaders;
- Serve as a project manager or point-person on special campaigns, materials and projects;
- Collaborates with Senior Director of Communications, Senior Manager of Communications and Community Mobilization and other Communications team members to develop fresh ideas and creative responses.
- Provide subject matter expertise around design, branding and creative direction to project collaborators and the entire organization;
- Stay abreast of the latest design trends and best practices by subscribing to e-newsletters;
- Attend professional development events and review relevant design-related publications;
- Assist with agency-wide activities as directed, including Annual Meeting, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago, World of Chocolate and others;
- Assist with other AFC activities as requested;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, design, marketing, web development or related field OR 3 or more years of on-the-job experience.
PLUS 2 years of experience working with graphic design, design software and web programming included but not limited to Adobe Creative Cloud programs, preferably in an organizational or agency setting.
Experience writing original, creative text used on digital platforms.
Experience leading campaigns or other communications projects with various stakeholders and deliverables to timely and effective completion.
Experience working with website content management systems such as WordPress or Drupal.
Experience editing and/or copyediting written work, communications strategy and graphics.
Spanish-language written and verbal skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
This is a role that requires immense creativity, a self-driven, can-do attitude and the ability to work both independently and as a team.
Solid, time-tested understanding of distilling ideas, concepts, campaign goals and audiences into innovative visual or written content.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interface with internal and external contacts diplomatically and effectively at a variety of levels.
Ability to be resourceful and flexible while maintaining a results-oriented customer service focus.
Ability and willingness to respect and value the differences and perceptions of different groups/individuals.
Excellent organizational ability (attention to detail, ability to manage multiple projects, establish workload priorities, take initiative, and meet deadlines).
Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment quickly, manages competing demands and can deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events are key to success in this role.
Please reference position EXTREL GD 301
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at AIDS Foundation Chicago are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service and/or marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.