- Job Title
- Graphic Designer
- Job ID
- Northampton, MA 01060
- Other Location
We are in search of an experienced graphic designer to join our uniquely creative and multi-talented team!
Pioneer Valley Books is a leading publisher of award-winning literacy resources. We are committed to providing quality books for children learning to read and resources that support teachers in their work. Our customers passionately love our products, and our company is rapidly growing.
As a graphic designer, you will work closely with the Sr. Manager of Production and print production team to execute outstanding print designs. You’ll use your broad creative skills and expertise in Adobe Creative Suite to create unique and modern fiction and nonfiction children’s book designs, as well as complex instructional curriculum materials, such as teaching guides, lesson cards, and other supplementals. It is expected that you will follow our best practices and guidelines, creatively collaborate with team members and others when asked, and create designs according to industry standards and current trends. You should be comfortable interacting with others on design ideas and direction.
- Create concepts and deliver completed designs under the guidance of the Sr. Manager of Production
- Provide design and layout for highly creative fiction and factual nonfiction books ranging in levels from kindergarten to 6th grade, with a specific focus on literacy learning
- Provide design and layout for comprehensive, multi-page handbooks and lesson materials, utilizing InDesign styles and master pages to create clean and easy-to-follow guides for an audience of educator
- Collaborate with the team to provide inspiration, share knowledge, and ensure smooth execution of projects
- Prepare materials for printing and archiving (i.e., export to PDF, package files and fonts, color-correct photos, prepress check, use proper file naming, etc.)
- Perform additional design duties as assigned
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design preferred
- 3+ years of experience with Adobe Creative Suite programs, primarily InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator; advanced experience in InDesign and/or illustration experience a plus
- Knowledge of latest design tools and understanding of publishing layout and hierarchy
- Ability to create striking children’s book designs and utilize accurate imagery for nonfiction
- Knowledge of proper file preparation techniques for printed files as well as online/digital projects
- Flexibility with project schedule adjustments and creative direction changes
- Excellent verbal and written communication as well as interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work well within a team environment and under pressure
- Ability to juggle multiple projects from concept through production
Pioneer Valley Books’ office is located in Northampton, MA, and is temporarily closed due to COVID. This position is offered as a remote position for the foreseeable future; once the office reopens, the position could continue as remote, with on-site presence expected as needed. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and a small, welcoming pet-friendly office environment.
Please respond with a letter of interest and résumé. In addition, an online portfolio with samples of your design work is required; please include the link in your letter or résumé. No phone calls, please.
Pioneer Valley Books is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. M/F/D/V/SO