Associate Director of Accounting
- Job Title
- Associate Director of Accounting
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Dorchester, MA 02125
- Other Location
The Organization and its Programs
DBEDC acts to build a strong, thriving and diverse community in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhoods. We develop, preserve and sustain affordable housing for rent and for ownership. We create commercial and economic development opportunities. We build community through community organizing and civic engagement activities. We are focused on the concepts of equitable development without displacement and providing opportunities for economic mobility.
Since our founding in 1979, DBEDC has developed and preserved over 1100 units of rental and homeownership housing and 200,000 square feet of commercial space. We have created around 1,000 jobs and involved more than 1,500 young people in after school leadership development and organizing activities. We are one of Boston’s oldest and most established community development organizations with an annual operating budget of almost $5 million, a staff of just under 30, and $44 million in assets.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Associate Director of Accounting will participate and assist in the accurate and timely completion of all corporate finance, accounting, property management and Information Technology functions within DBEDC. This role will collaborate with collaborate with the Director of Finance and Administration to ensure budget compliance, track expenditures and ensure appropriateness within funding source guidelines. This role will also collaborate with the Real Estate Development team to develop and trace development budgets and all other departments on performance against budget and revenue and expense anomalies. The Associate Director will be responsible for coordinating the annual audit and tax filings of DBEDC and its affiliated corporations.
What you can expect to do in the role:
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Administration and other department heads in the preparation of the corporation budget(s).
- Review budget fundraising proposals and grant applications prior to submissions.
- Review the preparation on any impact reporting.
- Prepare or review and provide analysis of monthly financial reports of Dorchester Bay EDC including its subsidiary corporations.
- Confer with the real estate development staff and provide guidance on financial implications of real estate transactions. Support real estate staff in the development and submission of construction project requisition payments.
- Review billings on contracts or grant funding sources.
- Assist asset management staff in developing performance standards, optimizing property performance and integrating asset performance into the corporation’s budget(s).
- Ensure completion of all required financial reporting for funding sources as needed.
- Participate in the proper filing of corporate tax returns.
- Prepare and act as liaison for auditors during annual corporation audit and all funding source audits.
- Establish financial performance monitoring methods and standards.
- Determine financial health of assets.
- Propose solutions to reduce potential structural deficits and monitoring the disposition of annual cash flows.
- Identify potential risks that could affect the income stream and the viability of the properties meeting required debt service obligations.
- Interact as needed with lenders and property managers regarding the operation and management of the properties.
- Collaborate with relevant departments to achieve organizational goals and objectives, including Real Estate Development and Resident Services, within the organization to support specific departmental reporting and other requirements.
- Encourage, motivate, and support professional development.
- Support staff development by establishing performance expectations and work plans to meet goals and objectives.
- Monitor staff progress toward performance expectations (objectives) and adjusting work plans as necessary to accomplish them.
- Want to work at an organization that is committed to racial equity and serves a diverse community predominantly of color.
- Are people and community-focused and have the ability to engage people from a wide array of backgrounds.
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to racial equity.
- Master’s degree in accounting is required.
- Minimum seven years of accounting experience.
- Minimum five years of management experience.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and capacity to creatively solve problems.
- Commitment to the development and implementation of sound finance and accounting principles.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to collaborate with and support non-financial professional colleagues.
- Computer literacy including word processing software, spreadsheets software, financial analysis and/or accounting software, and internet skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Can work occasional evening or weekend to support activities needed outside of regular business hours.
- Can work in physical environments (this is not a virtual position).
- Verbal and written fluency in Cape Verdean Kriolu, Haitian Creole, Spanish, or Vietnamese is highly desired.
- Experience in mission-oriented or social impact lending financial analysis, deal structuring, and relationship and loan processing management are desirable.
- CPA with CDC Real Estate development experience strongly preferred.
- Relevant CDC real estate experience considered a plus.
- Don’t be discouraged from applying if you don’t “check all the boxes”. We appreciate the uniqueness of candidates and there is no “perfect’ resume!
- Salary range: $125,000 - $140,000
DBEDC’s total compensation package features an amazing set of benefits which we considered towards the overall compensation, including:
- (5) Generous cost-sharing medical insurance packages for selection and no eligible waiting period.
- Employer paid Dental and Vision coverage
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance program
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Life and Accident Death
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Employee Wellbeing On-Demand Services
- Perks at Work Program
- 3 personal days
- 3 weeks’ vacation to start
- 15 sick days
- 17 paid holidays
- 403 (b) plan with generous employer contribution
- Flexible hybrid work environment
Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation views diversity, inclusion and cultural competence as vital principles in all our work with clients and communities. We welcome and encourage applications from visible minority groups members, indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ community, persons with disabilities and others who may contribute to the diversity of the organization and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
- Pay Range
- $125,000.00 Annually to $140,000.00 Annually