Lead Emergency Department Technician
- Job Title
- Lead Emergency Department Technician
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
Under the supervision of the Registered Nurse, the Lead Emergency Department Technician provides technical support for physicians and nurses to deliver optimum patient care in the Emergency Department.
Supervises the Emergency Department Technicians.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Interacts with staff, physicians, other healthcare professionals, various departments and general public.
- Responsible for monthly/daily QC of I-stat and glucometer.
- Ensure supplies are ordered from central supply in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate with nurse educator to in-servicing and training of fellow ERT’s on equipment and supplies.
- Assist the charge nurse with the flow of the Emergency Department.
- Check ERT book weekly to ensure trauma rooms checked every change of shift.
- Make sure all equipment is working and up to date.
- Accountable along with fellow ERT’s to the policies and practices of HUH Emergency Department.
- Assists the Registered Nurse in providing technical care of Emergency Department patients in the performance of the following representative duties:
- Receives change of shift report with Registered Nurse and makes rounds on assigned patients.
- Assists in the placing of patients on oxygen, cardiac monitors, dinnamaps and pulse oximetry units while under the supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Takes and records vital signs according to Emergency Department Standards.
- Performs intravenous access therapy and venipuncture procedures under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and in accordance with HUH Policy/Procedures and Emergency Department Standards.
- Collects, labels and handles specimens correctly according to Nursing Department Policy/Procedure and Emergency department Standards.
- Performs electrocardiograms according to established standards, including those needed in clinical areas outside the Emergency Department when an EKG technician is not on duty.
- Reports pertinent information, including any changes observed in the condition or behavior of the patient to the Registered Nurse.
- Performs data entry of laboratory tests and x-ray orders in the computer when requested by Registered Nurse and according to Emergency Department Standards.
- Recognizes and responds to priorities in patient care as outlined in the Emergency Department Standards.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates correct techniques in carrying out Infection Control Fire, and Disaster procedures as outlined in the Emergency Department Standards.
- Gives enemas or other needed preparation to patients in accordance with hospital procedures.
- Assists in the transporting of patients, supplies and specimens on and off the unit. Assists in the ordering and stocking of supplies as requested by the Director.
- Performs patient preparation and procedure setup of trays and equipment, i.e., trauma trays intubation trays, hypothermia machine, etc.
- Assists in Dr. Dan and Code Yellow procedures as per established Emergency Department guidelines/standards.
- Provides post-mortem care and follows Emergency department’s guidelines in caring of deceased bodies such as labeling, wrapping dentures, and securing patient valuables and property.
- Assists in the maintenance of a safe and clean environment. Stocks supplies and checks the function of the equipment in the Emergency Department.
- Assists in admission and discharge procedures as per established guidelines.
- Follows safety guidelines when working with all equipment and recognizes equipment malfunctions and refers for repair.
- Gives reports on assigned patients to Registered Nurse when leaving for break or meals and to the Charge Nurse before the end of the shift.
- Documents according to Emergency Department Standards and acquires Registered Nurse’s Signature.
- Answers the telephone in a customer friendly manner and follows through with questions and requests of patients, their families and staff.
- Trains and cross trains other technical staff as required.
- Attends In-service and other required educational activities as required
- Participates in activities that contribute toward technical and professional growth and development for the purpose of maintaining job proficiency.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- The employee must demonstrate collaboration, accountability, respect, excellence, and service.
- The employee must work with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors.
- The employee must accept responsibility for their actions to provide health care and/or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard University Hospital values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- The employee must embrace diversity and care holistically for those Howard University Hospital serves. They must treat all as they would like to be treated. They must manage the patient’s right to privacy and keep any proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- The employee must anticipates the needs of the patient and/or student. They must present themselves as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our patrons.
- The employee must behave in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all individuals they encounter.
- Ability to adapt to change in workload, patient assignments, and other duties.
- Ability to work under emotionally stressful conditions.
- Knowledge and skill in dealing with agitated patients, and in application of restraints.
- Knowledge and skill to function in an accurate, precise and calm manner in emergency situations.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification preferred, EMT certification must obtain within 18 months of hire date.
- 4+ years of experience required
- Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Card Certification.
- ACLS Certification Preferred.
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (up to 50lbs), bend, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.
- Required Skills