Professional Chaplain (PRN - Evenings and Weekend Availability)
- Job Title
- Professional Chaplain (PRN - Evenings and Weekend Availability)
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Professional Chaplain who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Professional Chaplain:
- Provides for the spiritual and emotional needs of the residents, employees and families.
- Coordinates services for Sundays and other religious holidays. Oversees services of various faiths when conducted by other ministers
- Develops and maintains continuity of the overall spiritual life of the community thru coordination of religious and spiritual programs.
- Visits residents and staff as needed. Makes daily visitation rounds throughout the hospital to welcome new patients and to visit those in critical care units.
- Ensures availability of crisis intervention for patients and their families on 24-hour, on-call basis.
- Upon requests of patients and/or family members, ensures appropriate ceremonial rites are provided according to religious tradition.
- Works with volunteer ministers and School of Divinity students in providing spiritual support.
- Serves as a liaison between the residents and other religious or spiritual groups. Works with various support groups to assist in accommodating their needs.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s Degree in Humanities, Social Science or related field of study. Master’s Degree in Divinity from an ATS accredited divinity school. Two (2) units of Clinical Pastoral Education in accordance with the standards of the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education.
One (1) year of pastoral experience preferred.
Proof of ordination by a religious body that hold membership in the World Council of Churches