- Job Title
- Pharmacy Technician
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
Howard University Hospital Pharmacy Technicians are an intelligent bunch that handles the core responsibilities at the hospital and in the Pharmacy Department. As a member of this team, you will know how to dispense drugs to pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.. We take pride in our understanding that every job, no matter how big or small affects the experience of our patients. And our team strives to assure that all hospital patients receive quality medical care and we want YOU to be a part of that effort.
When should you be available?
Monday through Friday, Day shift
Who are you?
We are looking for a passionate person who wants to join our Pharmacy department at Howard University Hospital. Every day is a new challenge, and you're continually looking for ways to help our team get better at what we do, in the most efficient way possible. You move fast while keeping your attention to detail, and you tap into your problem-solving skills to support Howard University hospital’s business objectives. Ideal candidates have experience in a fast-paced high growth environment and the ability to work part of a team.
What will you do?
- Prepares and dispenses medication orders for an assigned patient population (inpatient). Fills patient medications, based on physician orders and patient profiles approved by the pharmacist, in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assists pharmacists in collecting patient medication history to identify and resolve discrepancies, improve patient safety, and decrease medication-related errors.
- Delivers and picks up pharmacy documents and medications from various departments and patient care locations.
- Produces routine and requested computer reports from a variety of pharmacy databases (e.g., DEA substances use, unit inspections, medication use studies, inventory, billing, transfers, borrow/lending transactions).
- Packages and labels medications into unit doses for inspection and approval by the pharmacist.
- Tracks and maintains stock levels of pharmaceutical supplies to ensure availability in accordance to established par levels.
- Checks and replenishes floor stock and related medications to patient care areas.
- Observes established departmental policies, procedures, behavioral and attitudinal norms, and quality assurance programs, safety, security, environmental and infection control standards.
- Required Skills
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- One (1) year related work experience preferred.
- Registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the District of Columbia Board of Pharmacy. Successful completion of a Pharmacy Technician training program or national certification through successfully passing the National Pharmacy Technician certification examination is required.