- Job Title
- Perinatal Sonographer
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Perinatal Sonographer who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The hours for this position are: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., no weekends, no holidays.
- Provides patient care by performing an array of technical obstetrical ultrasound activities and processes utilizing a variety of equipment on patients referred to the department
- Explains procedures to the patient prior to the commencement of the testing and provides patient education related to medical ultrasound
- Performs 2D, 3D/4D imaging, spectral Doppler and color Doppler
- Ensures the appropriate consent and/or declinations are obtained
- Maintains patient charts and records, and records and processes sonographic data and other pertinent observations made during the procedure for presentation to the interpreting physician
- Maintains proper operation of the ultrasound equipment. Recognizes equipment malfunctions and takes appropriate corrective action
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive
Qualified candidates with possess:
- Associate Degree and Graduate from an AMA approved school of Ultrasound Technology is required
- Two years of clinical experience including OBGYN. Must have completed structured training/course work in obstetric sonography
- Registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic of Ultrasound Technology is required
- Applicable certification by Fetal Medicine Foundation in Nuchal Translucency/Nasal bone required or obtained within 6 months
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Knowledge of obstetrical ultrasound techniques in order to perform non-stress testing, contraction testing, and biophysical profiles on patients
Ability to perform Level I & II obstetrical ultrasound in conjunction with perinatologists to detect fetal anomalies
Ability to assists with in-service training activities related to sonography and fetal monitoring and working knowledge of computer technology
Knowledge of electrode physiology and the electronics of fetal monitoring
Competence in both oral and written English
Ability to troubleshoot equipment to ensure it is running smoothly to avoid downtime