Reach Your Potential At The Summit
Be a part of an innovative, diverse and creative team inspiring to change the landscape of the telecommunications industry. Everyone here is determined, compassionate and committed to achieving unified success. We want you to be a part of our team and encourage you to learn more about us.
Our team represents the diversity of our consumers and the communities we serve. We value every individual’s unique ideas, perceptions and cultural influences creating a broader understanding of our customer’s needs.
Life at Summit Broadband
Driven to succeed. Encouraging diversity. Family first. At Summit Broadband we care about you as a person, as a parent, as a loved one and as an employee. Though we expect you to give 110% and finish work in a timely fashion, we understand matters at home may arise that require your attention. We realize the better our employees are treated, the better they will portray the company to our customers. Summit Broadband strives to be the recognized service leader in the Florida telecommunications industry. Therefore, there is a service oriented culture where associates strive to build relationships with customers by treating them with respect and integrity.
Summit Broadband offers an environment for growth and development. We are enablers of successful business people aiming to ensure you have the opportunity to reach the summit in your career. We not only provide tools for advancement within the company, but qualities you can take with you outside the company.
Choosing Summit Broadband
Be a part of an innovative, diverse and creative team inspiring to change the landscape of the telecommunications industry.
Summit Broadband offers exceptional benefits to full-time employees, including:
• Health Insurance • Dental • Vision
• Life Insurance • Disability • 401(K) with employer matching
• A wellness program • Paid time off • Paid holidays • Employee Referral Program
Network Operation Center (NOC) Tier 3 Engineer
- Job Title
- Network Operation Center (NOC) Tier 3 Engineer
- Job ID
- Orlando, FL 32811
- Other Location
Summit Broadband Inc. is a cutting edge, fiber-based broadband provider delivering best in class residential, commercial, and hospitality technology solutions. This growing, dynamic high-tech company headquartered in sunny Central Florida, is seeking a Network Operations Center Engineer – Tier 3 to join our NOC team and grow with us. The new Summit Broadband is poised for an incredible future fueled by team members dedicated to being the best.
Job Title: Network Operation Center (NOC) Tier 3 Engineer
Status: Full Time/Exempt
Reports to: NOC Team Lead
Location: Central Florida
This position requires a CCNA/JNCIS-ENT (or equivalent) certification, advanced understanding of Ethernet, MPLS, and IP networks and network elements, developed problem-solving and time management skills. As a NOC tier 3 engineer for Summit Broadband, you will serve as the highest level of technical escalation for the network operation center providing advanced technical support of all core, distribution, carrier last mile and customer premise elements across Summits network. NOC tier 3 is responsible for researching and documenting various mitigation strategies and must maintain current knowledge of deployed technologies and their significance to customer operations. The NOC tier 3 engineers must be able to prioritize remediation of issues in a 24 x 7 network operations center. Perform advanced system administration tasks such as network/system troubleshooting, researching, and developing patch/upgrade cycles and implementation strategies, and develop scripts to automate repeatable tasks to be used by tier 2. In addition to network surveillance and management responsibilities, the NOC tier 3 function also serves as an escalation point from NOC tier 1/2 and other support departments.
This is a specialized support roll that is responsible for the day-to-day operations of Summit Broadbands network infrastructure. This role requires the use of applied technical knowledge and practical experience to resolve complex issues. This role will be responsible for enhancing our customers and employees experience through detailed ticket and process reviews. The ideal candidate will be expected to review ticket data observing trends that identify an upcoming event and then apply fixes to prevent impact. This role will represent the team during the deployment of new products and hardware, ensuring the proper instrumentation, documentation and training occurs prior to release. One of the key elements of this position is to identify opportunities to optimize our tiered support model and move resolution closer to the customer avoiding unnecessary escalations.
This role requires a high degree of proficiency with the problem management and knowledge management processes and will be expected to manage fix agents, boundary partners and leadership communications to improve KPIs, technical acumen and instrumentation. This role will also require familiarity with incident management, change management, problem management and other ITIL processes. This role assists with change conflict mitigation, knowledge management and other ITIL process and documentation needs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides advanced technical support and problem resolution for the Summit Broadband network encompassing residential, Business, Enterprise, and Carrier platforms and services.
- Proactively monitor for network, platform, and service events, identify impact associated with each, execute pre-defined scripts for known problems based on alarms and incidents reported by network element management or other fault systems.
- Monitor network and other infrastructure traffic and performance while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction by providing services fully compliant with the Service Level Agreements (SLA) and minimizing impact on customers services.
- Obtain the necessary information for recording/tracking outages and/or degradation of service.
- Notify all stakeholders of high impact/priority failures using the appropriate escalation procedures.
- Troubleshoot, isolate, resolve/escalate and document network issues and events.
- Applies advanced skills to resolve complex incidents independently or as team based on incident scope.
- Record all work and incident details using a ticketing system.
- Ensure accurate and timely creation, updates, and completion of all incident tickets with prompt escalation and notification of major network or platform faults and customer impact to appropriate escalation and fix agents within defined Incident Management Service Level Agreements (SLA).
- Track, re-direct and escalate the workflow of incidents to subsequent support levels as needed to coordinate restoration/repair of incidents.
- Closes incident tickets and provide feedback/updates to knowledge objects (e.g., Methods of Procedure).
- Coordinate with fix agents to perform repair and/or site maintenance based on the severity or type of event.
- Comply with established Change Management and Incident Management processes.
- Perform collision verification and communication as it pertains to Change and Incident Management processes.
- Assists with change management by creating, validating, and performing pre/post change service level monitoring ensuring the health of the network, the service provided, and customer needs are maintained.
- Follow through on customer (internal/external) requests concerning technical services, products, equipment, and work with other departments to achieve an optimal resolution.
- Open/Close Problem tickets as needed per Problem Management process.
- Creates change requests in accordance with change management policy and tier 3 responsibilities.
- Ensure successful implementation of restoration/repair in the network by creating and/or implementing Change Request tickets according to defined Change management policy.
- Receives work from the NOC Tier 2 and other internal groups and drives resolution.
- Resolve interoperability issues between customers hardware and premise equipment.
- Validates network and other infrastructure redundancy through ongoing testing, as necessary.
- Validate operational success of deployments/maintenances.
- Validate restore/repair actions and clear alarms.
- Work with other support teams and vendors on support needs and service documentation.
- Assist with development, implementation, and continuous improvement of operations processes/best practices.
- Work with vendors for product information, technical support, and drive for solutions within required SLAs.
- Provide advanced support to NOC tier 1 & 2 at a service provider level with respect to refresher training, training on new features or technologies, lessons learned, and expert trouble-shooting advice as needed.
- Responsible for completing After Action Reviews post service affecting (Critical, Major) or high visibility events.
- Provide operational readiness/enablement support for new and emerging technologies.
- Maintains network and application integrity to achieve network/customer SLA and availability objectives.
- Performs scheduled and emergency maintenance on Network elements and high-level troubleshooting by creating, designing and executing change request tickets.
- Coordinates and prioritizes resolution efforts and preventative maintenance.
- Re-provisions, tests, maintains, and restores some or all supported Network equipment including core, backbone devices or critical applications.
- Updates/Maintains logs and network documentation to ensure compliance with Summit and industry standards.
- Audit problem/change tickets to identify opportunities to update procedures and provides feedback to leadership to ensure compliance with established standards.
- Audit incident/request tickets and identifies improvement opportunities.
- Acts as subject matter expert for emerging technologies.
- Develop product support documentation.
- Identify and assist in resolving multi-customer impacting platform issues.
- Identify event monitoring needs and response actions.
- Identify support gaps and support improvements.
- Implement disaster recover for critical systems.
- Manage complex production support issues.
- Measure and report SLA metrics.
- Define the knowledge objects (step by step resolution scripts/process) to enable all NOC Technicians to drive restoration and documentation efforts.
- Acts as Incident Commander for outages as required, to ensure effective and timely communications and coordination of resources and required notifications.
- Provide feedback and recommendation for Operations Support Systems (OSS) tools improvements, process flows, event/incident management, and correlations.
- Provides top tier, high-level technical support to field operations.
- Evaluates root cause analysis and develops solutions for failures and outages at an advanced level before referring to engineering or vendor support.
- Participate with project management personnel to ensure designs interface correctly with existing configurations and that adequate system capacity exists for future needs.
- Investigates and evaluates repeat events for chronic activity to determine root cause and implementation of resolution.
- Performs as SME with regards to the operational processes for current and future projects and services.
- Maintain working knowledge of all company products and services from a technical standpoint.
- Stay up to date on organizational Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs).
- Manages internal phone queues to assist with live troubleshooting in accordance with defined service level agreements.
- Perform routine case reviews with hardware vendors.
- Manage break/fix RMAs.
- Perform impact analysis and collision detection for scheduled change activities.
- Oversees the completion of projects or assignments.
- Advanced knowledge about routing and switching.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate and quantify reported service interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage Service Level objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with all levels of Summit Business customers.
- Demonstrated ability to apply troubleshooting processes.
- Demonstrate organization, time management, assessment, and prioritization skills.
- Willingness and ability to rotate between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts or extended hours if needed.
- Support peers and all NOC tiers to work as a tightly knit team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with multi-vendor network environments
- Strong understanding of IP, subnetting, and TCP/IP protocols
- IP Protocols: DHCP, HTTP, TCP/UDP, FTP, TFTP, IP, DNS, etc.
- Routing Protocols: ISIS, RIP, VRRP, OSPF, BGP, iBGP, MPLS.
- Telephony Switching Platforms and technologies (SIP, MCGP/NCS, SS7).
- DWDM, SONET transport networks, DOCSIS/Broadband networks.
- Experience with DDoS mitigation tools.
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals and OSI model (focus layer 1-3).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent teamwork and customer service skills.
- Troubleshooting experience with telecommunications related technologies.
- In-depth knowledge of switching and routing.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Must be able to understand & interpret networking and architectural diagrams including the roles and responsibilities of routers, switches, load balancers, firewalls, DHCP server ETC.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant tools/analyzer programs (Wireshark, etc.).
- Excellent analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Working knowledge with ITIL/eTOM principles.
- Engages/directs others in developing innovative solutions.
- Takes initiative to learn independently through multiple channels (white papers, industry events, manuals, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, team environment.
- Must be able to work shifts as assigned in the 24/7 operations.
Education and Experience:
- CCNA/JNCIS-ENT certification (or equivalent) CCNP/JNCIP-SP preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Technology field or a minimum of five years of experience supporting high-availability services in ISP, Enterprise, or MSO Network Operations environment
- 5+ years of experience supporting high-availability services in an ISP, Enterprise, or MSO Network Operations environment.
- 5+ years of experience with Event/Incident/Problem/Change Management processes in MSO environment
- 5+ years of experience with monitoring/troubleshooting element management systems for data and transport equipment.
- Experience with command line interface and configuration (Junos/Cisco a plus).
- Hands-on experience with Cisco, Nokia, Juniper, Ciena data products and/or Infinera, Fujitsu and Ciena transport products.
- Experience with Ciena Blue Planet in a production environment.
- At least 18 years of age
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug test.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Summit Broadband is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the E-Verify program.