Language Interpreter (Spanish) Part-Time
- Job Title
- Language Interpreter (Spanish) Part-Time
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Language Interpreter (Spanish) who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Language Interpreter:
- Provides assistance by interpreting medical information/instructions for patients and or family members
- Confirms patients for special procedures and/or routine clinic examinations by explaining preparations, if any, ensuring effective communications between patients, family members of patients, physicians, and staff
- Assists patients in preparing for clinic visits, admissions, medical procedures, and examinations by ensuring that all forms are properly completed, insurance, medical identification cards, and registration information are accurate, and effective communication is established with the appropriate departments
- Pre-registers patients in person or by telephone securing all personal, financial, and demographical data required to complete registration process
- Assists in the development of documents to be used in health fairs, meetings, special functions, newsletters, and other publications
- Gathers and organizes office activity data for statistical and reporting purposes
- Assists in cultural sensitivity class and other patient educational programs
- Serves as interpreter/sight translator on call during weekends and off shifts when required
Qualified candidates will possess:
- High School or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D)
- Three (3) years of experience in a multilingual/multicultural environment including at least two (2) years in a medical environment
- Spanish Medical Interpreter certification from either the Certification Commission for HealthCare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (CMI) is preferred
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D).
Three (3) years of experience in a multilingual/multicultural environment including at least two (2) years in a medical environment.
Certification and/or Licensure:
Spanish Medical Interpreter certification from either the Certification Commission for HealthCare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (CMI) is preferred
Certification for Medical Interpreters (CMI) is preferred