Tumor Registrar Coordinator
- Job Title
- Tumor Registrar Coordinator
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Tumor Registrar Coordinator who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Tumor Registrar Coordinator:
- Serves as Registrar and coordinator of the Tumor Registry and Tumor Board
- Establishes and maintains computerized files/databases in accordance with requirements of the American College of Surgeons, the accrediting body for cancer programs
- Administers all procedures of the Tumor Board
- Directs weekly didactic cancer conference
- Develops and plans special conferences, as necessary, in conjunction with the Continuing Medical Education Office
- Supervises the abstraction, classifying, and coding of clinical data on cancer patients for the Tumor Registry
- Interacts with the Metropolitan Regional Cancer Registry to ensure proper forwarding of cancer data
- Serves as Quality Assurance Coordinator for the cancer program
- Coordinates the Hospital Cancer Committee meetings
- Coordinates institutional participation in cooperative study groups
- Coordinates data participation in local, regional, and national studies as necessary
- Supervises and evaluates support staff
- Develops and conducts training programs for support staff
- Provides information and explains the working thereof to the Cancer Registry, Tumor Board, Director of the Cancer Center, and other interested parties
- Responsible for assistance with the writing and coordination of an annual report, as required by the accrediting body
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science. Master’s degree preferred. In lieu of a bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science, a bachelor’s degree in another field plus five (5) years’ Tumor Registry experience may be substituted
- Two (2) years’ responsible work experience as a Tumor Registrar or medical records administrator, one (1) year of which should be in a supervisory capacity
- Must be a Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), Registered Records Administrator, or Accredited Records Technician (if not currently certified, must be willing to receive certification within 2 years).
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science. Master’s degree preferred. In lieu of a bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science, a bachelor’s degree in another field plus five (5) years’ Tumor Registry experience may be substituted.
Two (2) years’ responsible work experience as a Tumor Registrar or medical records administrator, one (1) year of which should be in a supervisory capacity.
Must be a Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), Registered Records Administrator, or Accredited Records Technician.