Tumor Registrar Coordinator
- Job Title
- Tumor Registrar Coordinator
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Tumor Registrar Coordinator who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Tumor Registrar Coordinator:
- Serves as Registrar and coordinator of the Tumor Registry and Tumor Board
- Establishes and maintains computerized files/databases in accordance with requirements of the American College of Surgeons, the accrediting body for cancer programs
- Administers all procedures of the Tumor Board
- Directs weekly didactic cancer conference
- Develops and plans special conferences, as necessary, in conjunction with the Continuing Medical Education Office
- Supervises the abstraction, classifying, and coding of clinical data on cancer patients for the Tumor Registry
- Interacts with the Metropolitan Regional Cancer Registry to ensure proper forwarding of cancer data
- Serves as Quality Assurance Coordinator for the cancer program
- Coordinates the Hospital Cancer Committee meetings
- Coordinates institutional participation in cooperative study groups
- Coordinates data participation in local, regional, and national studies as necessary
- Supervises and evaluates support staff
- Develops and conducts training programs for support staff
- Provides information and explains the working thereof to the Cancer Registry, Tumor Board, Director of the Cancer Center, and other interested parties
- Responsible for assistance with the writing and coordination of an annual report, as required by the accrediting body
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science. Master’s degree preferred. In lieu of a bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science, a bachelor’s degree in another field plus five (5) years’ Tumor Registry experience may be substituted
- Two (2) years’ responsible work experience as a Tumor Registrar or medical records administrator, one (1) year of which should be in a supervisory capacity
- Must be a Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), Registered Records Administrator, or Accredited Records Technician (if not currently certified, must be willing to receive certification within 2 years).
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science. Master’s degree preferred. In lieu of a bachelor’s degree in Medical Records Science, a bachelor’s degree in another field plus five (5) years’ Tumor Registry experience may be substituted.
Two (2) years’ responsible work experience as a Tumor Registrar or medical records administrator, one (1) year of which should be in a supervisory capacity.
Must be a Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), Registered Records Administrator, or Accredited Records Technician.