- Job Title
- Endoscopy Technician
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire an Endoscopy Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Endoscopy Technician position:
- Professionally and courteously interact with staff, patients and their families, physicians, other healthcare providers and Hospital & University officials.
- Assists Endoscopists during procedures as directed
- Cleans, disinfects, and stores endoscopes according to manufacturers’ directives and recommendations.
- Assists with inspection and maintenance of endoscopes and equipment in the unit.
- Takes inventory of supplies in transport cart and restocks as necessary.
- Keeps rooms stocked with necessary supplies.
- Wipes/sanitizes carts, sinks and room after each procedure.
- Sets up Endoscopy rooms for all procedures according to established guidelines.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement and departmental activities.
- Transports patients safely to and from the Endoscopy area as needed.
- Assists in the preparation and positioning of beds and orientating patient to room.
- Performs personal hygiene activities for patients as needed.
- Transports patient care equipment from one area to another, including assembling of such equipment.
- Transports and handles specimens
- Provides post-mortem care in caring of deceased bodies such as labeling, wrapping dentures, and securing patient valuables.
- Orient and precept new Endoscopy Technicians
- Assists in supply inventory, establishing and maintaining adequate levels of supplies and equipment.
- Reports equipment malfunctioning to appropriate staff and properly prepares items to be shipped out as necessary.
- Assists in the observation of patient pre and post procedure. Reports all observed changes and/or abnormalities in patient’s condition as directed.
- Participates in activities that contribute to technical and professional growth and development.
- Complies with the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences.
- Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Establishes and maintains effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Graduate of a training program for endoscopy technicians or HUH training if available.
- One year experience working as an endoscopy technician in an acute care setting or Endoscopy Lab.
- Current American Heart Association BLS certificate
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Graduate of a training program for endoscopy technicians or HUH training if available.
One year experience working as an endoscopy technician in an acute care setting or Endoscopy Lab.
Current American Heart Association BLS certificate