Clinical Nurse - Float Pool - Per Diem
- Job Title
- Clinical Nurse - Float Pool - Per Diem
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Registered Nurse PRN in the Float Pool who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
Float Pool Departments:
- Emergency Department
- Women Services
- Cath Lab
The Registered Nurse PRN:
- Collaborates with patient/family and health care team to determine health goals and interventions and to revise plans of care as needed
- Maintains awareness of the unit’s periodic statistics regarding core measures, nursing quality indicators, customer satisfaction measures, and actively participates in activities/behaviors that progressively improve the statistics
- Provides nursing care consistent with the nursing practice standards, policies and procedures established by the unit, department, division, and institution, professional ethics and standards, and legal requirements
- Serves in the role of charge nurse upon completion of the 6 month orientation period, and with approval by the nurse manager
- Participates in unit performance improvement programs through ongoing design, assessment and measurement, and performance improvement activities
- Identifies patient care requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients and other persons in a position to understand care requirements
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families
- Promotes patient's independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions
- Assures quality of care by adhering to therapeutic standards; measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards; making or recommending necessary adjustments; following hospital and nursing division's philosophies and standards of care set by Nurse Practice Act of the District of Columbia, and other governing agency regulations
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results
- Meets all of the standards for a Clinical Nurse I as outlined in the most recent Howard University Hospital Clinical Advancement program
- Demonstrates competency in clinical skills, bedside manner, infection control, physiological knowledge, administering medication, medical teamwork, multi-tasking, listening, verbal communication, health promotion and maintenance
- Associates Degree Required. Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia
- Certification in Basic Life Support
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.