Patient Access Associate (Part-Time)
- Job Title
- Patient Access Associate (Part-Time)
- Job ID
- Part Time
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Patient Access Assosciate who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference. The primary duty of this position is to provide direct nursing care to patients. Collaborates with intra and interdisciplinary staff to accomplish patient care goals based on the needs of the patient and the institution. Participates in educational offerings and presents as requested.
The Patient Access Associate:
- Contacts insurance carriers and/or reviews information from automated insurance verification systems to determine coverage and eligibility, i.e. EVS line and HDX eligibility
- Answers and responds to all phone calls, facsimiles, patient inquiries and requests in all assigned ancillary and clinic areas
- Verifies and enters all information in all Siemens Invision registration pathways
- Obtains patient demographic and insurance information
- Verifies eligibility and benefit information
- Provides directions i.e. when to arrive, where to report and what documents to bring
- (Identification and Insurance cards, referrals etc.)
- Obtains and or re-verifies patient demographic and insurance information
- Obtains and scans all required documents in EDM (Insurance card, Identification card
- Initiates and views HDX Eligibility and Search America application to screen all insurance plans during the registration process
- Contacts patients, guarantors or family members for missing or erroneous data
- Uses Siemens EDM (Electronic Document Management) to electronically capture and store documents in support of the creation of the patient’s hospital electronic record. This must be completed during the check-in or face-to-face registration process
- Knows and adheres to government regulations relative to Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) and Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire (MSPQ) and Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN)
- Utilizes Soarian Scheduling and all other scheduling systems to make appointments for hospital clinics and ancillary departments
- Obtain diagnosis, chief complaint and or reason for appointment
- Supports the Nursing Staffing Office, physicians and hospital administrators with all unit bed placements. Utilizes Teletracking, Soarian Clinicals and Invision to complete all ADT transactions to document the patient type change
- Accesses Teletracking for all direct admission requests
- Accesses Teletracking and Soarian Clinicals, for all ECA bed requests
- Assigns beds in Teletracking for all admissions
- Confirms and completes all physician orders via Service Provide Workspace
- Notifies all Behavioral Health agencies for immediate psychiatric admissions
- Communicates all financial or insurance information to the Financial Counselors and Case Management when applicable
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Associate’s Degree preferred.
- Three (3) year’s experience in patient access/registration, billing, cash collections, insurance, pre-certifications or related experience in a medical center/physician office environment. Medical terminology preferred
- Must be able to work weekends and must be flexible to department needs and work all shifts (days evenings and nights) and holidays if needed. Consideration may be given to an appropriate combination of education training and experience. Must pass a typing test administered by the Human Resources Department
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Associate’s Degree preferred. Three (3) year’s experience in patient access/registration, billing, cash collections, insurance, pre-certifications or related experience in a medical center/physician office environment. Medical terminology preferred. Must be able to work rotating weekends and must be flexible to department needs and work all shifts (days evenings and nights) and holidays if needed. Consideration may be given to an appropriate combination of education training and experience. Must pass a typing test administered by the Human Resources Department.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (12-25 lbs.), bend, reach, handle, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, (color vision), calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret, and organize for extended periods of time.