Patient Care Technician - NICU
- Job Title
- Patient Care Technician - NICU
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Patient Care Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
Patient Care Technician:
- Contributes to a positive work climate and overall effort of the hospital to provide excellent customer service.
- Uses recognized channels of communication following the chain of command.
- Consistently demonstrates competence in providing patient care routines in accordance with established nursing care procedures to ensure patient dignity, comfort, privacy and safety.
- Adheres to nursing and administrative policies and procedures.
- Under the direction of the RN, performs technical duties and selected treatments, procedures and activities which contribute to safe and efficient delivery of patient care:
- Inserts intravenous lines/Heparin locks
- Performs EKG's (telemetry monitoring)
- Implement the patient plan of care under the supervision of licensed personnel.
- Participates in discharge planning.
- Reinforces the teaching of individuals and groups of patients.
- Performs activities as assigned and demonstrates competency in them.
- Performs blood draws
- Assists patients to perform ADL's (bathing, dressing, toileting, and grooming).
- Assists in use and care of assistive devices, prosthetics and or equipment.
- Transfers and transports patients as desired.
- Performs continual observation
- Provides an accurate, thorough and timely report of patient condition to health care personnel.
- Organizes and prioritizes assignments to accommodate changing work situations under the guidance of licensed personnel.
- Measures and records intake (fluid/food) and output (bodily functions/bodily drainage).
- Observes and reports abnormal skin condition following established policy and procedures. Assist in the care of patients at risk or with actual skin breakdown.
- Identifies pain assessment needs with each vital signs and as needed and communicates as appropriate to RN.
- Obtains point-of-care testing as ordered and or delegated by the RN: blood glucose, hemoccult, multistix, and urine HCG as appropriate for patient care unit.
- Performs intentional hourly rounding and documents per unit requirements.
- States normal parameters of treatments/procedures carried out in role. Reports to the nurse any observations, patient behaviors and other indicators which fall outside the stated normal parameters or directions given by RN.
- Enters/retrieves information accurately and in a timely manner into electronic medical record (EMR).
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient safety and fall prevention strategies.
- Practice appropriate infection control procedures (ie. Proper hand hygiene, gowning and gloving, isolation techniques).
- Accompanies patients to other areas of the hospital when patient appropriate and as requested by the RN.
- Collaborates with nurse to assist in the development and ongoing evaluation of the patient’s plan of care and development of discharge plan.
- Maintains credentialing needs and skills necessary to work in technician role on their unit.
- Ensures the patient environment is clean and clutter-free.
- Reports unsafe conditions to Supervisor in a timely manner
- Acts in a positive professional manner, utilizing good interpersonal relationships.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Maintains ethical/legal standards.
- Participates in the unit-specific quality teams and committees as assigned.
- Exhibits fiscal accountability through cost-effective use of time, materials, supplies, and other resources.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
A qualified candidate will possess:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in a hospital setting as a Patient Care Technician
- BLS/CPR certification required
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (up to 50lbs), bend, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High school Graduate or equivalent
2+ years of experience in a hospital setting as Patient Care Technician
BLS/CPR certification required