EKG Technician - Department: Cardiac Cath Lab
- Job Title
- EKG Technician - Department: Cardiac Cath Lab
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire an EKG Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The EKG Technician:
- Perform non-invasive diagnostic procedures for the physicians presented with acute or chronic exacerbations of chest pains.
- Provide an expeditious and accurate diagnostic tool for the physicians to more quickly diagnose and treat acute and chronic complaint s/problems presented to them.
- Operate and maintain the full range of electrocardiographic diagnostic instrumentation and accessories.
- Explain purpose of tests to patients.
- Obtain/record electrocardiograms and related EKG procedures to in patients, ambulatory care and other referred outpatients.
- Record and maintain daily log of all laboratory procedures and activities.
- Ensure timely delivery of EKG reports and submission of charge slips.
- Input accurate patient data into auto EKG program.
- Edit and store electrocardiographic data in the analysis program.
- Recognize and alert medical staff of EKG abnormalities/life-threatening arrhythmias and report abnormalities to the Director.
- Explain/obtain Holter monitor tape recordings on scheduled patients (connect/disconnect patients) as assigned.
- Receive transtelephonic recordings and obtain pacemaker EKG's as assigned.
- Perform signal average EKG tests.
- Respond to code "DOCTOR DAN" as paged.
- Provide assistance for laboratory research projects, literature reviews, evaluation of new techniques and equipment, and annual reports.
- Demonstrate EKG techniques for the orientation and training of new staff, volunteers and in the laboratory In-Service Educational Program.
- Assist in maintaining EKG file/storage system as assigned.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to learn new and developing electrocardiographic techniques and instrumentation. Knowledge of basic cardiac life support techniques.
- Ability to operate EKG equipment, Holter scanners and related EKG instrumentation, including trouble shooting procedures.
- Ability to operate computer terminals.
- Ability to recognize EKG abnormalities and life-threatening arrhythmia.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (hours).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- EKG Technician must have at least 2 years experience as a hospital-based EKG Technician Familiar with Muse
- Must be able to preform 12 lead EKG and stress with Halter acknowledgment
- High school or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.).
- Certification in Electrocardiographic (EKG) techniques from an approved technical or vocational program or one (1) year of clinical EKG experience.
- Certification in basic cardiac life support (BCLS).
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% Free Tuition for employees and child dependents
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
EKG Technician , must have at least 2years experience Familiar with Muse and be able to preform 12 lead EKG and stress with halter acknowledgment.