Digital Producer, Think
- Job Title
- Digital Producer, Think
- Job ID
- Dallas, TX 75201
- Other Location
The station serves the country’s fifth-largest media market, reaching more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KXT and Art&Seek. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
This full-time producer will work on Think, KERA’s weekday conversation show. We’re looking for a dynamic, multitalented journalist with one foot in radio and the other in digital.
The primary responsibility for this position will be to serve as the show’s digital producer, connecting the dots between the broadcast, the podcast and our social and digital presence. The ideal candidate will come ready with ideas for how Think conversations can live well beyond the daily broadcast and build a community of loyal listeners eager to engage with the show both on and off air. This includes developing Think’s distinctive voice on the show’s various social media channels, turning broadcast interviews into smart explainer pieces with viral potential for the web and working with our on-demand audio team to grow podcast listenership. We’re looking for someone eager to reach new audiences – particularly those who don’t feel like they’re regularly represented in public media.
The Producer will also be involved in the day-to-day production of the radio broadcast. This person must be eager to work strategically with colleagues to keep Think fresh and exciting for current listeners, while looking for ways to capture and engage new audiences. This position will help define and shape the future of Think – keeping up with best practices in the radio talk show world while always remaining firmly rooted in the ethics and standards of public media.
- Guide and build upon all aspects of Think’s digital presence, including social media, web site and newsletter
- Work with KERA’s audio on-demand and audience teams to engage and grow podcast and digital audiences
- Assist in daily production of Think’s radio broadcast – including live program production and logistics. That includes writing online summaries, pulling sound clips, setting up for the show, escorting and confirming guests and screening calls.
- Pitch engaging and enterprising show ideas and guests for the show.
- Assist with research for Think – This person will assign and edit research from interns for each hour of the program.
- Produce and file on-air Think recaps for All Things Considered.
- Produce and report for special projects and other assignments – including breaking news – and other duties as assigned
- Maintain editorial standards of accuracy, thoroughness, ethics, balance and diversity.
- Participate in KERA news meetings and fundraising campaigns and represent KERA in the community
- Uphold and advance KERA’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- A minimum of 3 years in journalism, podcasting or relevant experience
- Expertise in audio editing and the ability to produce a high-quality listening experience in a fast-paced, daily setting
- Organized team player and problem solver with a wide variety of interests
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Familiarity with WordPress and established and emerging social media platforms
- Success in meeting daily, weekly and longer-lead deadlines
- Ability to exercise sound news judgment and follow KERA/NPR ethics and editorial standards
- Passionate and enthusiastic about public radio journalism and serving a diverse North Texas audience – both on the air and online
- Ability to connect with and maintain relationships with diverse communities
- Undergraduate 2-year or 4-year degree in journalism, mass communications or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience producing audio and digital content geared specifically to digital/podcast listeners
- Experience reporting
- Deep knowledge of North Texas people, cultures, issues, and geography as well as national and international issues, and events
- Experience preparing for and conducting long-form interviews and/or show hosting
- Fluency in another language/s, Spanish preferred
$55,000 - $60,000, depending on experience.
KERA is currently operating remotely due to the pandemic. When we return to the office, we will continue to provide flexibility for our staff to work remotely if they so choose. We expect that this position will eventually work out of our Dallas office on either a full or part-time basis.
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page and attach a resume and cover letter.
KERA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.