- Job Title
- Dental Assistant
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on a Historically Black University campus. It has created a superior learning environment with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Dental Assistant who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Dental Assistant:
- Greets patients in the waiting area and escorts patients to the dental operatory for treatment. Creates a friendly relationship with patients and parents, as well as, educating them on personal oral care. Prepares daily schedules and pulls patient charts as required.
- Provides excellent chair-side assistance to the dentist and/ or dental hygienist.
- Maintains dental operatory in a clean and neat working environment adhering to current infection control policies, patient and operatory exposure controls, and safety controls
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions, contacting the department Manager when repairs are needed, maintaining equipment inventories, and assists in evaluating new equipment/techniques
- Reviews daily schedule to set up appropriate trays and instruments for scheduled procedures. Cleans and prepares all instruments/equipment for disinfection and transporting items to the central sterilization area, as well as, transporting processed items back to the dental center daily.
- Compiles and submits data in a timely manner for monthly production and patient statistics
- Inputs accurate health information, intra-oral and extra-oral dental examination findings, and proposed treatment procedures to patient’s digital dental records under the dentist or dental hygienist supervision. Assures that all forms are completed and signatures are on them.
- Operates dental x-ray equipment to process, expose and develop intraoral and extraoral radiographs for diagnostic purposes. Mounts, labels, and stores patient films in accordance with state regulations and department protocol.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
A qualified candidate will possess:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Two (2) years of responsible work experience as a Dental Assistant in a dental office, clinic, and /or hospital.
- Formal post-secondary accredited dental assisting training and Certification from the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) or 3 years of experience in a dental office.
- Current Dental Assistant Level II registration license issued from the District of Columbia Board of Dentistry.
- Valid CPR card at the time of hire or must successfully pass a CPR course within 30 days of hire.
At Howard University Hospital, our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, manually lift up to 35lbs and transfer/lift using the appropriate device to accomplish the patient care task, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, pull, push, reach, handle, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, (depth perception, color vision), calculate, edit, evaluate, interpret, and organize for extended periods of time.
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Two (2) years of responsible work experience as a Dental Assistant in a dental office, clinic, and /or hospital.
Formal post-secondary accredited dental assisting training and Certification from the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) or 3 years of experience in a dental office.
Current Dental Assistant Level II registration license issued from the District of Columbia Board of Dentistry.
Valid CPR card at the time of hire or must successfully pass a CPR course within 30 days of hire.