Patient Transportation (11:30PM-8:00AM)
- Job Title
- Patient Transportation (11:30PM-8:00AM)
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Patient Transporter who will embrace our rich and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Patient Transporter:
- Safely and efficiently transports patients to and from various areas in the Hospital (as scheduled, requested, or directed).
- Fulfills responsibilities as assigned and/or float basis in response to patients’ needs across all departments of the Hospital.
- Responds to emergent and urgent patient and operational issues.
- Perform other duties that further the customer service needs of the unit, such as answering phones, greeting and escorting patients, and administrative and clerical duties upon demand.
- Assists the unit nursing staff in transferring patients in and out of bed and on to transport equipment, as well as patient care on units.
- Covers part or all of other shifts, and/or be on call.
- Prepares, inspects, and cleans transportation equipment prior to transporting patients.
- Reports incidents and any unsafe equipment to the Transportation Supervisor for maintenance and repair.
- Transports deceased patients to the morgue.
- Achieves appropriate Hospital performance and productivity standards as established.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training and adheres to the requirements.
- Adheres to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Adheres to federal health care program requirements.
- Obtains necessary certifications as required by regulatory agencies.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- These stated responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered all-inclusive. The employee assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area.
- Relates and communicates with patients, visitors, and staff in a professional, courteous and mature manner
A qualified candidate will possess:
- High School Graduate or General Equivalent Diploma (G.E.D.)
- Six (6) months of responsible work experience in a Hospital or Medical Care Facility performing patient transportation services or other duties preferred.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Card (BLS).
- Must be able to accommodate frequent pushing and pulling of heavy equipment up to 350lbs, occasionally up to 800lbs.
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills