OSP Field Engineer
- Job Title
- OSP Field Engineer
- Job ID
- Cleveland, OH 44103
- Other Location
Job Title: Field Engineer
Business Unit: CHC Consulting, a Congruex Company
Department: Field Operations
Reports To: Project Manager
Networks Built Better.
Congruex is a multi-national organization that specializes in broadband network construction and engineering. We support some of the largest service providers in the United States with a footprint that extends across the nation. Our turn-key design and build solutions allow our customers to deliver more data, more bandwidth, and ultimately support more devices for their end users.
Our diverse self-perform capabilities allow us to deliver high quality telecommunications and utility solutions with efficiency as one combined end-to-end business.
Congruex is a growing collection of subsidiary operating units. Our unified vision is to be the nation’s largest end-to-end provider of network design, engineering, construction, and maintenance for broadband operators. We are One Congruex.
Our Mission & Values
It is our mission to satisfy our customers by providing the expertise, technology, and resources necessary to build better networks.
Congruex is committed to the overall health, wellness, and safety of our people. We support diversity, inclusion, and the right to live freely with mutual respect.
These values are ingrained in our core values of GRIT.
At Congruex, GRIT is an acronym for guts, reliability, improvement, and teamwork – having the GUTS to do the right thing, being RELIABLE to deliver what we promise, IMPROVING ourselves every day, and embracing TEAMWORK together as One Congruex.
CHC Consulting, a Congruex Company
Founded in 2003, CHC Consulting is a full-service engineering consulting firm within the telecommunications industry. CHC Consulting provides comprehensive, turn-key professional services in the areas of fielding, engineering design, permitting, project management, process development, and staffing to a range of Blue Chip clients across the United States. CHC Consulting specializes in Outside Plant (OSP) Engineering and has a large footprint in the West, Midwest, and Southwest regions.
Field Engineers are responsible for aerial and underground data collection while validating a viable cost-effective path for engineering. Decision making will take into consideration value engineering and the impact on construction, installation and future maintenance. Field Engineers must possess a comprehensive understanding of telecommunications design and the ability to support engineering.
Job Responsibilities (Including, but not limited to):
- Collect relevant Pole Information and accurately document existing measurements and placement.
- Determine ideal locations for new above ground facilities and equipment.
- Conduct Underground/Buried Cable layout surveys.
- Develop accurate fiber/optical network construction surveys.
- Conduct new substructure site surveys and site walks.
- Determine existing and new locations for fiber optic cables.
- Inspect the work of construction contractors.
- Accurately depict new construction route opportunities.
- Assure that personal vehicle is maintained to company safety standards.
- Take pictures of job sites, pole conditions and other relevant structures or landmarks.
- Make hand drawn sketches of recommended engineering design while in the field or facility.
- Upload clear images files, hand notes, and sketches and edit for quality and cohesiveness.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to accommodate travel in personal vehicle.
- Computer and printer with scanning capabilities.
- Ability to upload/download and edit documents in Project Management software.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Acrobat. Working knowledge of Google Earth/Maps. Ability to quickly learn new systems and databases.
- Highly organized, self-starter, and detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Superior time management.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible, take direction with ease, including changes to schedule and workflow priorities.
- Critical thinking skills; make assessments and provide solutions to problems.
- Ability to maintain professional tact in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to follow direction in maintaining all Field Safety standards.
- Superior customer service.
- GRIT (guts, reliability, innovation and teamwork).
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics preferred.
- Experience in either the engineering, construction, architecture, or telecommunications industries is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with telecommunications engineering standards.
- Capable of identifying issues in the field that would have a potential to impact network design.
- Able to collect necessary data from the field for determining a design including all necessary OSP features.
- Fiber networking and cable routing.
- Knowledgeable in GO 95, GO 128 and/or NESC requirements.
- Experience with interpreting cable or substructure designs.
- Knowledge and experience with telecommunications construction techniques
- Able to identify and suggest all types of construction methods within ROW, identify assumed public ROW, visually identify existing utilities.
- Fiber construction operations/management/provisioning experience.
- Basic Knowledge of Make-Ready Construction
- Able to identify potential cable moves and, guying and anchoring requirements to make room for new cable attachments.
- Able to effectively account for all information that is required to attach to a pole and complete all necessary measurements and photos.
- Experience in estimating existing utility locations.
- Non-exempt, Hourly
- Full Time
- $20 - $25/hr.
- Daily travel to job site(s) in personal vehicle required – mileage reimbursement.
- Ability to stand, stoop, squat and bend for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time and/or long distances.
- Tolerant to extreme elements (heat, sun, wind, rain, snow, etc.).
- Good vision and depth perception (corrective lenses OK).
- Ability to sit and drive for extended periods of time.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.