Customer Information Specialist – Rotating Shifts
- Job Title
- Customer Information Specialist – Rotating Shifts
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Customer Information Specialist who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Customer Information Specialist:
- Provides exceptional customer service over the phone according to the Hospital’s policies and procedures.
- Operates computer and telephone to access patient and employee information and page Hospital staff.
- Responds to guests, patients, and staff inquiries promptly and professionally by telephone.
- Resolves all inquiries by taking ownership of the requests from guests, patients, and staff.
- Properly responds and processes all emergency codes via hospital paging and phone systems.
- Responds to and reports any telecommunication equipment failures to administration or on-call management in the event of a phone system issue.
- Assists with the paging software SPOK by updating the database as needed, updating phone numbers, employee and physicians’ profiles.
- Assists with current directory information for Hospital staff.
- Assists with daily On-Call schedule to ensure the proper on-call information is transferred to the next shift.
- Updates the patient information list on a daily basis to ensure Operators are providing the most up-to-date information to our guests.
- Swaps and programs pagers for residents and physicians within a 2-hour turnaround timeframe.
- Troubleshoots pagers for any technical problems, display or volume issues.
- Utilizes Track-It system to enter in all pager transactions including new, repairs, broken, lost, code pagers, group, stolen, upgrades, and closing tickets.
- Reports all safety, security, and suspicious persons and law violations to Security staff.
- Reports any non-routine situation or problem, which warrants immediate consideration or action to the supervisor.
- Prepares and submits (EMAIL) reports of incidents during the shift to supervisor.
- Makes appropriate referrals when unable to satisfactorily resolve problems or answer inquiries.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered all-inclusive
Qualified candidates will possess:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D) required
- Minimum one (1) year experience as a customer service representative and/or, patient information clerk or receptionist preferably in a healthcare or customer-focused environment
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
• High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D) required
• Minimum one (1) year experience as a customer service representative and/or, patient information clerk or receptionist preferably in a healthcare or customer-focused environment